BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,968
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 69 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 68 69
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2012/Spring 2013
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

The 2016 and 2015 ages should look very closely at the towns where these boys are from because this 2017 bunch will challenge them big time all the way through high school. Starting this coming season. Don't be surprised if some of these 2017 boys bypass MS and JV altogether - even in the best lax districts.

Thanks for the heads up, just bought my 2016 a baseball glove for Christmas

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know about that. Besides the Turtles not one of the better 2017 teams on Long Island can compete with ANY of the top 3 or 4 2016 teams. 10 or 12 goal differential.
And, unlike the better 2016 players, the better 2017 players all seem to be, for the most part, smaller players. Don't know how big they will get in H.S. And size becomes a huge factor in H.S.

Thats one of the stupidest things I have seen written so far !!!! How about you list the heights/weights of the top players that you seem to know from 2017 and we can then compare your list of heights/weights from the top players on the 2016 teams that you seem to know so deeply. Nah....lets just agree your an idiot !!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know about that. Besides the Turtles not one of the better 2017 teams on Long Island can compete with ANY of the top 3 or 4 2016 teams. 10 or 12 goal differential.
And, unlike the better 2016 players, the better 2017 players all seem to be, for the most part, smaller players. Don't know how big they will get in H.S. And size becomes a huge factor in H.S.

Agree. Stick skills are great but in HS you also need size, speed and strength or you will get crushed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Man,it's going to be a long winter......

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree. Stick skills are great but in HS you also need size, speed and strength or you will get crushed.

Oh brother......really....crushed !!!!! what a backward thinking Buffooon... nah...same idiot as previous post !!!!!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree a year makes a BIG difference! Coming into HS there could be a 3-4 year difference. There are some 2017 BIG boys that are talented. Lets see what happens in the spring.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some of you may need to be reminded of the following definition when discussing your child. Its a long road ahead and some Humility will serve you well.

Humility (adjectival form: humble) is the quality of being modest and respectful. Humility, in various interpretations, is widely seen as a virtue in many religious and philosophical traditions, being connected with notions of egolessness.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some of you may need to be reminded of the following definition when discussing your child. Its a long road ahead and some Humility will serve you well.

Humility (adjectival form: humble) is the quality of being modest and respectful. Humility, in various interpretations, is widely seen as a virtue in many religious and philosophical traditions, being connected with notions of egolessness.

hypocrite.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

nice, Grasshopper. I doubt that you are very good with a stick!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree a year makes a BIG difference! Coming into HS there could be a 3-4 year difference. There are some 2017 BIG boys that are talented. Lets see what happens in the spring.

Size is less of and issue than you might think... This is lacrosse not football. The AVG size of a D1 middie is 6'0" 180. That's not small, but not that big either. SPEED is the real HUGE factor. Now, if you have the speed and bigger size, that's another story.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Guys from the 80's to now the difference in player size is night and day. The atheletes of today are bigger stronger and faster than ever before. Yes there were big athletes then but as a whole the overall player is bigger etc. There are different atheletes joining the game of lacrosse in the past few years as there are different regions being introduced to it. We will always see an evolution of the player and the game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was a 4 year starter - division 1 middie in the 80's. 6 foot 195 lbs. clocked at 4.6 or faster on a regular basis. I was considered a big,fast middie. Now it definately seems all middies have those stats. It's just evolution of the sport. Even though its not "football" I think that the size helps in simple things like boxing out for a ground ball. As far as going to the cage, its all about physics, if 2 middies have the same speed, and similar stick skills but one weighs 150 lbs and one weighs 200 lbs, I'll put my money on the bigger kid. In boxing, they always say a great big man will beat a great little man.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't kid yourself, size does matter at any age. Look at this earlier post from the 2016 thread below. If size matters to Pietramala then size matters for everybody. Also, anectdotally, looking at alot of early recruiting (2015) postings on inside lacrosse - many of the kids are described as 6ft 2/3in.

Some early recruiting lessons:

"It's awfully difficult to evaluate what a kid's going to be like seven years from now," Pietramala says. "I'm in there saying: 'How big is mom? How big is dad? How tall is grandpa?' "

Lesson - Keep your short, dumpy wife/husband as far away from Petro and other D1 coaches as possible! Instead, hire a 6ft 2in slim model for the day and parade him/her around the Jake Reed camp - your kid will be verbaled by the time you get home.

Seriously, this is what it's come to. Talk about being at the mercy of a less than a perfect system. Yikes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't kid yourself, size does matter at any age. Look at this earlier post from the 2016 thread below. If size matters to Pietramala then size matters for everybody. Also, anectdotally, looking at alot of early recruiting (2015) postings on inside lacrosse - many of the kids are described as 6ft 2/3in.

"It's awfully difficult to evaluate what a kid's going to be like seven years from now," Pietramala says. "I'm in there saying: 'How big is mom? How big is dad? How tall is grandpa?' "

Lesson - Keep your short, dumpy wife/husband as far away from Petro and other D1 coaches as possible! Instead, hire a 6ft 2in slim model for the day and parade him/her around the Jake Reed camp - your kid will be verbaled by the time you get home.

Seriously, this is what it's come to. Talk about being at the mercy of a less than a perfect system. Yikes.

Hard to argue this point with anyone. But if it is so important how are 3 of the top 5 point leaders on Hopkins under 6 foot? Its important but there is much more than just being big.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

North Carolina has 4 of the top 5 in points under 6ft.
Jordan Wolf at Duke led the team and he's 5' 9"

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes there are exceptions to any rule about height and size, but the size of the heart is immeasurable!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And what's wrong with all of the great D3 programs or non-top-20 D1 programs where "ACC-size" is not a major criteria?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes there are exceptions to any rule about height and size, but the size of the heart is immeasurable!!!

BINGO!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have to disagree. I watched the tryouts on that cold Dec. 1 day and the boys selected, in my opinion, truly stood our amongst the rest. The kids invited back for the call back was quite accurate, if a child did not attend the call back, well they have bigger issues. The biggest flaw that i saw in the process is that they stated that there would be the selected called back players with any pre-registers that could not attend the Dec. 1 date yet, there had to be and additional 70+ players who showed up and the space was not setup to accommodate all of them. Heck, there were 30+ defense players, i don't think the Dec. 1 day had that many.
In my opinion.

Sorry had to revisit this- 2017 lots of great players and great team(s) formed. Congratulations to all the players who shined. Have to laugh though, kid doesn't make the premier NORTH team and dad whines and screams on here and to anyone who will listen. Refuses to show for call back as he/his son is too good for SOUTH team. Final rosters are formed and days later kid appears on SOUTH roster despite not attending call back. Guess squeaky (crying) wheel gets the grease and SOUTH is good enough if you have NOTHING AT ALL.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Must be low day at work, very sad post. I moved on and have nothing but nice things to say about kids and parents. maybe you should to the same.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have to disagree. I watched the tryouts on that cold Dec. 1 day and the boys selected, in my opinion, truly stood our amongst the rest. The kids invited back for the call back was quite accurate, if a child did not attend the call back, well they have bigger issues. The biggest flaw that i saw in the process is that they stated that there would be the selected called back players with any pre-registers that could not attend the Dec. 1 date yet, there had to be and additional 70+ players who showed up and the space was not setup to accommodate all of them. Heck, there were 30+ defense players, i don't think the Dec. 1 day had that many.
In my opinion.

Sorry had to revisit this- 2017 lots of great players and great team(s) formed. Congratulations to all the players who shined. Have to laugh though, kid doesn't make the premier NORTH team and dad whines and screams on here and to anyone who will listen. Refuses to show for call back as he/his son is too good for SOUTH team. Final rosters are formed and days later kid appears on SOUTH roster despite not attending call back. Guess squeaky (crying) wheel gets the grease and SOUTH is good enough if you have NOTHING AT ALL.

How do you know which kid it was? I looked at the roster and could not find anyone named ANONYMOUS anyhwere.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Loyola - National Champions

Top 10 scorers

Lusby - 6'0" 190
Sawyer - 6'0" 180
Ward - 5'10" 180
Butts - 6'2" 190
Osullivan - 5'9" 190
Layne - 5'9" 175
Ratliff - 6'0" 185
Byrnes - 6'1" 190
Dalton - 6'2" 200
Dobson - 6'5" 215

7 of 10 - six foot or taller

Average height 6'0"
Average weight 189

Maryland - 2012 Runner Up

Cummings - 5'11" 190
Blye - 6'3" 185
Haus - 6'0" 185
Snider - 6'0" 175
Gribbin - 5'10" 180
Cooper - 6'4" 190
Chanenchuk - 5'11" 180
Shakespeare - 6'1" 200
Carlson - 6'0" 185
Carr - 6'2" 205

Average height 6'0"
Average weight 188

Can anyone argue that this formula doesn't work?
Maybe North Carolina and Duke should re-examine their recruiting policies.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Loyola - National Champions

Top 10 scorers

Lusby - 6'0" 190
Sawyer - 6'0" 180
Ward - 5'10" 180
Butts - 6'2" 190
Osullivan - 5'9" 190
Layne - 5'9" 175
Ratliff - 6'0" 185
Byrnes - 6'1" 190
Dalton - 6'2" 200
Dobson - 6'5" 215

Average height 6'0"
Average weight 189

Maryland - 2012 Runner Up

Cummings - 5'11" 190
Blye - 6'3" 185
Haus - 6'0" 185
Snider - 6'0" 175
Gribbin - 5'10" 180
Cooper - 6'4" 190
Chanenchuk - 5'11" 180
Shakespeare - 6'1" 200
Carlson - 6'0" 185
Carr - 6'2" 205

Average height 6'0"
Average weight 188

Can anyone argue that this formula doesn't work?
Maybe North Carolina and Duke should re-examine their recruiting policies.

Very tough argument as said earlier. But i'll bet my house that those listed as 6' are more like 5' 11". And how many NC does MD and Loyola have compared to the field?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Notre Dame's top 10 scorers are an average height of 6'0" and average weight 183 lbs also - just saying

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In my opinion.

How do you know which kid it was? I looked at the roster and could not find anyone named ANONYMOUS anyhwere.

Just like travel ball who cares where you live, tryout and we will put you on a team if it is felt it is deserved. Why isnt LI south represented of South Shore players 9only 5 towns i see from the list from South Shore) and North represented of North Shore. And to put Northern West on there... i guess it was just like the Empires with NYC filled with LI boys.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Also, I retract my Duke recruiting comment.

There top 10 scorers average 6'0" and 189 lbs

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
agreed - forum originally started with the "trends" of how size is becoming more important. I would bet my bottom dollar that the team that wins the National Championship next year will have their top 10 scorers averaging 6 foot in height and around 190 in weight. I'm not saying that there arent exceptions to the rule and there are definately kids that have more heart than others. What I'm saying is that If I was a Division 1 College coach I would definately be giving serious thought to what potential a kid has due to genetics. Also, if anyone had the time to go back over the last 40+ years and go over all the Championship teams, there were plenty that had "big" kids playing. I know that back in late 80's when Syracuse was dominating they had 2 big middies with the last name of Gait, they were both around 6'2" and weighed over 200 lbs. Maybe they were the trend setters.

Team

Championships

Appearances

Winning Years

Syracuse (a)

10 Championships

16 Appearances

1983, 1988, 1989, 1993, 1995, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009

Johns Hopkins

9 Championships

18 Appearances

1974, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1984, 1985, 1987, 2005, 2007

Princeton

6 Championships

8 Appearances

1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001

Virginia

5 Championships

9 Appearances

1972, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2011

North Carolina

4 Championships

5 Appearances

1981, 1982, 1986, 1991

Cornell

3 Championships

7 Appearances

1971, 1976, 1977

Maryland

2 Championships

11 Appearances

1973, 1975

Duke

1 Championships

3 Appearances

Loyola

1 Championship

2 Appearances

Navy

0 Championships

2 Appearances

Massachusetts

0 Championships

1 Appearances

Towson

0 Championships

1 Appearances

Notre Dame

0 Championships

1 Appearances

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did your kid make it?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In my opinion.

Just like travel ball who cares where you live, tryout and we will put you on a team if it is felt it is deserved. Why isnt LI south represented of South Shore players 9only 5 towns i see from the list from South Shore) and North represented of North Shore. And to put Northern West on there... i guess it was just like the Empires with NYC filled with LI boys.

Duh! There is an A and a B. Is THAT not OK, now? You know, where a BETTER team competes against the BETTER teams from other areas. Naming them "North" and "South" is done so that kids can't figure out which is the stronger team. wink

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In my opinion.

Sorry- person's correct. I DO know of one kid fitting that description, and the dad is a BIG squeaker.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In my opinion.

You do realize the North & South LI teams are just other names for A & B teams, right?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Regardless, still an acomplishment if you are considered in the top 50 out of several hundred on long island in the grade. I'll take a team with 26-50 from Long Island against any "A" team from elsewhere in the country any day. Congrats to everybody who made either team. There are plenty of disappointed really good players who did not make the "B" team. Quite an accomplishment to make either team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey if you know me stop talking like a little girl, and call me like a man.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Regardless, still an acomplishment if you are considered in the top 50 out of several hundred on long island in the grade. I'll take a team with 26-50 from Long Island against any "A" team from elsewhere in the country any day. Congrats to everybody who made either team. There are plenty of disappointed really good players who did not make the "B" team. Quite an accomplishment to make either team.

Absolutely agree with you. Just stating to the poster above that the names do not indicate where you live ("north" & "south" shore of LI) It should be a great tournament for the LI boys.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe that the trump move there would've been actually signing your name. (not "anony-mouse")

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe that the trump move there would've been actually signing your name. (not "anony-mouse")

"LIKE"

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Have to diasagree with you here. Although there are some very good players on both teams, these are not the top 50 players on Long Island at the age group. How they decided to put any players on the team other than 2017 kids is way beyond me with the talent level that was out there. Clearly favors were done so for some its less of an accomplishment than you think. I guess thats always going to the case with these things.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Have to diasagree with you here. Although there are some very good players on both teams, these are not the top 50 players on Long Island at the age group. How they decided to put any players on the team other than 2017 kids is way beyond me with the talent level that was out there. Clearly favors were done so for some its less of an accomplishment than you think. I guess thats always going to the case with these things.

Anybody who knows the 2018s on the team also knows that they are as good if not better than most 2017s. They belong, so just get over it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
B.S. please.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Anybody who knows the 2018s on the team also knows that they are as good if not better than most 2017s. They belong, so just get over it.

Im sure your son is a good player. Gonna have to disagree with you on that statement though, too many good players at the 2017 age group at that tryout to take any younger players. Not a matter of getting over it, just stating facts.

Like Reply Quote
Page 8 of 69 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 68 69
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard