BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,740
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 75 of 327 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 326 327
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Enough with the childish nonsense ie I know you are but what am I. Stay on your own teams thread and worry about them.No club is perfect but why is it so many are so concerned about other people's club and other people's children.

You are the worst offender. Pick one and stay there already.

Is this person serious, it has gotten to the point that I can no longer tell if someone is being sarcastic or if the have a learning disability.Maybe the wrong thread for this but a question, do many players renege on their verbal commitments.I ask because it seems the trend is more and more rising juniors are doing so.

If you were at the TG tryout and stirring the pot on their thread why are you on our thread starting problems and asking questions. Since you felt the need to go to the TG tryout you are not welcome here. Just go away and get another hobby.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Enough with the childish nonsense ie I know you are but what am I. Stay on your own teams thread and worry about them.No club is perfect but why is it so many are so concerned about other people's club and other people's children.

Is this person serious, it has gotten to the point that I can no longer tell if someone is being sarcastic or if the have a learning disability.Maybe the wrong thread for this but a question, do many players renege on their verbal commitments.I ask because it seems the trend is more and more rising juniors are doing so.

If you were at the TG tryout and stirring the pot on their thread why are you on our thread starting problems and asking questions. Since you felt the need to go to the TG tryout you are not welcome here. Just go away and get another hobby.

It seems like every day I go on the Yellow Jacket's Website and see another 2013 or 2014 verbal commit!! Way to go YJ!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It seems like every day I go on the Yellow Jacket's Website and see another 2013 or 2014 verbal commit!! Way to go YJ!!

YEAH! O'Doyle RULES!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please don't confuse commitment and scholarship, they are two very different things. I would like to see the list of girls going to D1 schools that are getting 25% plus in scholarship money - I'm guessing that is an infinitely smaller list!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

there hasn't been a new commit since the twins. life through Y.J. glasses

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Look again, you are wrong

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Look again- plus many more in the works and some just not posted. Don't hate- worry about your own team/ daughter

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
a lot of the YJ "REAL BLUE" players can be mixed with any of the other teams in the age group and the real blue would not miss a beat because on most of the top teams there are 5-6 kids who carry the team and the rest are interchangeable parts. also some of the kids on the top teams don't even try out, they are placed there because of an older sibling who was a very good player. even if the girl can't hold a stick. That is unfortunate for some kids but it will all work out in the end

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
a lot of the YJ "REAL BLUE" players can be mixed with any of the other teams in the age group and the real blue would not miss a beat because on most of the top teams there are 5-6 kids who carry the team and the rest are interchangeable parts. also some of the kids on the top teams don't even try out, they are placed there because of an older sibling who was a very good player. even if the girl can't hold a stick. That is unfortunate for some kids but it will all work out in the end

not true of YJ but probably true of other long island travel clubs. For example the top blue teams 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 are loaded with talent

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is true that the other players are interchangable. It is interesting that when you play school lacrosse (which I know is a much lower level of play), the "blue" players don't necessarily standout. As spectators, you are waiting for something special and surprised when they blend in with the rest of their string. What makes the yj teams good is their depth and their year round training and how they work together from years of playing together. You see firsthand, then that it is usually 5-6 players that carry the team, and the rest can be traded out for other girls.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is true that the other players are interchangable. It is interesting that when you play school lacrosse (which I know is a much lower level of play), the "blue" players don't necessarily standout. As spectators, you are waiting for something special and surprised when they blend in with the rest of their string. What makes the yj teams good is their depth and their year round training and how they work together from years of playing together. You see firsthand, then that it is usually 5-6 players that carry the team, and the rest can be traded out for other girls.

Absolutely agree, if they were that good a lot of them would be signing with D1 schools,or making the under armor teams,or being named all division,all county,all American or lead their teams in goals or assists.If they were that good they would eventually have one of their players be recognized as the top rising senior recruit in the country or something.Although you make it difficult to agree with you when you say what makes them so good is their depth then go on to say 5-6 kids carry each team,it almost seems as if you have no idea what your talking about.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are right. I was not clear. What I meant by the depth of the team was that the rest of the girls are decent players. There is not a tremendous drop off. Although 5-6 carry the team, the rest of the players are not much different from the girls on the other teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please don't confuse commitment and scholarship, they are two very different things. I would like to see the list of girls going to D1 schools that are getting 25% plus in scholarship money - I'm guessing that is an infinitely smaller list!

Not that it is anyone's business but every girl ( except I believe 1) is getting 50% plus- these are top kids that were recruited early for a reason- the schools pick there tipp recruits and that I where the $$ goes. Many will be receiving academic $ as well

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You might want to brush up on your Scholarship knowledge. Do you know how many full athletic scholarships a D1 school can give out for girls lax ( I do), you might want to look that up. Then take into account that there are girls at that college that are already on scholarsip (which would decrease the amount of $ they could give out to incoming girls). Not saying that the girls aren't getting scholarships, just not as many getting as much as you might think.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You might want to brush up on your Scholarship knowledge. Do you know how many full athletic scholarships a D1 school can give out for girls lax ( I do), you might want to look that up. Then take into account that there are girls at that college that are already on scholarsip (which would decrease the amount of $ they could give out to incoming girls). Not saying that the girls aren't getting scholarships, just not as many getting as much as you might think.

I know personally that most of those 2014 girls are getting at least 50% or better in $$ except for one. Then academics plays a role. Between academics and athletics these girls are capable of getting close to if not entirely full funding. In either case bottom line these girls and any girl who verbally committs to play lacrosse in college should be extremely proud of their accomplishments

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who cares, let them dream big.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is exactly correct. Many schools split the scholarship $ between girls (ie 4 different girls get 1/4 scholarship each, 3 girls get 1/3 each, etc). Schools then get more quality players to go there as it makes the private school more affordable to more girls. Some will offer a "full" as an incentive to a senior in their last year...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who cares, let them dream big.

I was posting to the statement. You are the one that is not informed about the girls listed. We all know that there are only 12 scholarships- I don't THINK I know that is why I posted. Unlike those of you who post stuff that you have no idea what you are even talking about

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Yeah, 12 scholarships divided amongst the roster of 25+. No one is getting anything close to half via athletic money. It's simple math. They might be getting $ from other places, but it's not athletic. Even if the NCAA allows 12 scholarships per team, that in no way guarantees the program is fully funded and even able to finance 12 scholarships. Lacrosse is not a money-making college sport, the programs do not have the funds football and men's basketball command.

Keep in mind that parents will tell you things that may not be strictly true. You might be hearing so-and-so got "a full ride" or "50%" but that doesn't mean it's actually happening, and college athetics departments are not sharing that info either. Lots of room for spin here, and let's face it, plenty of people are going to varnish the truth to justify what they spent getting to that point, or to glorify their kid, or whatever.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

!

That is exactly correct. Many schools split the scholarship $ between girls (ie 4 different girls get 1/4 scholarship each, 3 girls get 1/3 each, etc). Schools then get more quality players to go there as it makes the private school more affordable to more girls. Some will offer a "full" as an incentive to a senior in their last year...

and some schools give a lot of money to 3 or 4 studs per year.The coaches have different philosophies! There are opportunities for big scholorships and smaller ones. You only need to worry about what is right for your child.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
Yeah, 12 scholarships divided amongst the roster of 25+. No one is getting anything close to half via athletic money. It's simple math. They might be getting $ from other places, but it's not athletic. Even if the NCAA allows 12 scholarships per team, that in no way guarantees the program is fully funded and even able to finance 12 scholarships. Lacrosse is not a money-making college sport, the programs do not have the funds football and men's basketball command.

Keep in mind that parents will tell you things that may not be strictly true. You might be hearing so-and-so got "a full ride" or "50%" but that doesn't mean it's actually happening, and college athetics departments are not sharing that info either. Lots of room for spin here, and let's face it, plenty of people are going to varnish the truth to justify what they spent getting to that point, or to glorify their kid, or whatever.
One of the things we found in the soccer world is the number of parents who consider financial aid as part of the scholarship percentage. It is not that the grant money spends any differently, however there is a huge difference between the "0.25 atheltic scholarship, $12,000 financial aid, and $10,000 academic scholarship" and a "0.75 lacrosse scholarship" when parents listen to or tell the story.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are right in some cases, but not all. There are definitely girls out there getting more than 50% ATHLETIC scholorship and there are plenty of programs fully funded. Using your math if there are 25 girls on the team then 24 girls can get a 50% Athletic scholarship. The larger programs give more money to their top players because they get plenty of girls who will just want to be on the team and pay full boat to get into the school. Most of the top lax schools are also top academic institutions as well. Some people are happy to get the admission into the school. Point is, not everyone is lying and you shouldn't assume the money isn't out there!

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

!

and some schools give a lot of money to 3 or 4 studs per year.The coaches have different philosophies! There are opportunities for big scholorships and smaller ones. You only need to worry about what is right for your child.

Doubt it. Why would they? Three or four studs and with no $ for any more studs, then how are they securing other good players? I am not at all saying the funds are split evenly, they are not, but I am pretty sure no program is going to spend their lump of change on just a few girls.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

!

Doubt it. Why would they? Three or four studs and with no $ for any more studs, then how are they securing other good players? I am not at all saying the funds are split evenly, they are not, but I am pretty sure no program is going to spend their lump of change on just a few girls.

Why would they? To get the best kids! It is simple! 3 kids @ 75% = 2.25 scholorships x 4 (incoming classes) = 9 scholorships. Then take the other 3 scholorships and give 15%- 25% per kid = approximately 15 more kids. That gives you 24 kids on Athletic scholorship alone and you still get 3 studs per year. The rest of the roster are walk ons or kids who gained admissions through the athletic department.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

!

Why would they? To get the best kids! It is simple! 3 kids @ 75% = 2.25 scholorships x 4 (incoming classes) = 9 scholorships. Then take the other 3 scholorships and give 15%- 25% per kid = approximately 15 more kids. That gives you 24 kids on Athletic scholorship alone and you still get 3 studs per year. The rest of the roster are walk ons or kids who gained admissions through the athletic department.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

!

I actually made a mistake. You cover 12 kids with the 9 scholorships (basically your starters are all studs) and you get another 15 kids with lower level scholorships or walk ons.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I actually made a mistake. You cover 12 kids with the 9 scholorships (basically your starters are all studs) and you get another 15 kids with lower level scholorships or walk ons.
You will never structure a top level NCAA Division I lacrosse team (men's or women's) this manner since the remaining three scholarships over 15 players will never allow you to recruit sufficient depth with withstand season long play much less injuries.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

!

And your school just got beat by N.U. or Maryland because your a Y.J. flunky. With your thinking you will not get past Florida. No school is going by your theory because seniors want more money simply because they put in there time. For every girl you put into the pool Mc Donogh puts in one , so does Bryn Mawr, St Paul, Vero Beach, John Jay, West Genesee, Lakeland- Pannas, Severna Park, Notre Dame Prep. I could go on for days, all these girls want and deserve the same money as a Yellow Jacket, so don't go crazy, The truth is there are thousands of very talented girls and only 92 D-1 teams, thats only 2275 slots, if your daughter wants to play that level and demands 75% as a freshman, I'll bet she will be past over for an equally talented girl that will except 25% and a team will get 2 other girls just as good for the same amount of money. I think you need to wake up.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
You will never structure a top level NCAA Division I lacrosse team (men's or women's) this manner since the remaining three scholarships over 15 players will never allow you to recruit sufficient depth with withstand season long play much less injuries.

Cage,

This is proof positive that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Please, parents, do your homework. Figure out which schools your kids are interested in. Make sure the school has an interest in your kid and then find out what they offer. As parents, we all do our HW when it comes to selecting a Travel Lax team then drop the ball w/ a College choice....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

!

And your school just got beat by N.U. or Maryland because your a Y.J. flunky. With your thinking you will not get past Florida. No school is going by your theory because seniors want more money simply because they put in there time. For every girl you put into the pool Mc Donogh puts in one , so does Bryn Mawr, St Paul, Vero Beach, John Jay, West Genesee, Lakeland- Pannas, Severna Park, Notre Dame Prep. I could go on for days, all these girls want and deserve the same money as a Yellow Jacket, so don't go crazy, The truth is there are thousands of very talented girls and only 92 D-1 teams, thats only 2275 slots, if your daughter wants to play that level and demands 75% as a freshman, I'll bet she will be past over for an equally talented girl that will except 25% and a team will get 2 other girls just as good for the same amount of money. I think you need to wake up.
No one said that all the studs were YJ's! You are right. There are plenty of great girls from McDonough etc. that get great offers too. I guess everyone has to only worry about their own kid. In any event the coaches will tell you what they will give not the other way around. Good luk to all.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Powder finger you are wrong - my daughter is a 2014 player mentioned on the YJ list -I'm sure people make stuff up and she along with many others are getting over 50% in athletic $ - academics will hopefully pick up the rest for my daughter. You dont get top teams offering players 25% no one will come. You are correct that the good seniors will get a full ride. So maybe you are giving 4 or 5 kids fills plus an occasional superstar freshman- you still have $ to offer quite a few 50%. We have just finished the recruiting process so this is fact

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

!

Another misinformed person. Look at rosters of different colleges- you will notice some schools are heavy with LI kids some have none. No one has ever said that YJ are the only ones that are good enough to get good athletic scholarships. I would not send my kid to the school that offers 25% and costs 50,000 - so I would keep looking and see where she best fits in and have a good education at an affordable price. You siund very aggressive and angry. Good luck with your daughter and her recruiting process!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

and some schools give a lot of money to 3 or 4 studs per year.The coaches have different philosophies! There are opportunities for big scholorships and smaller ones. You only need to worry about what is right for your child. [/quote]

Doubt it. Why would they? Three or four studs and with no $ for any more studs, then how are they securing other good players? I am not at all saying the funds are split evenly, they are not, but I am pretty sure no program is going to spend their lump of change on just a few girls. [/quote]
Why would they? To get the best kids! It is simple! 3 kids @ 75% = 2.25 scholorships x 4 (incoming classes) = 9 scholorships. Then take the other 3 scholorships and give 15%- 25% per kid = approximately 15 more kids. That gives you 24 kids on Athletic scholorship alone and you still get 3 studs per year. The rest of the roster are walk ons or kids who gained admissions through the athletic department. [/quote]And your school just got beat by N.U. or Maryland because your a Y.J. flunky. With your thinking you will not get past Florida. No school is going by your theory because seniors want more money simply because they put in there time. For every girl you put into the pool Mc Donogh puts in one , so does Bryn Mawr, St Paul, Vero Beach, John Jay, West Genesee, Lakeland- Pannas, Severna Park, Notre Dame Prep. I could go on for days, all these girls want and deserve the same money as a Yellow Jacket, so don't go crazy, The truth is there are thousands of very talented girls and only 92 D-1 teams, thats only 2275 slots, if your daughter wants to play that level and demands 75% as a freshman, I'll bet she will be past over for an equally talented girl that will except 25% and a team will get 2 other girls just as good for the same amount of money. I think you need to wake up.

[/quote]
Another misinformed person. Look at rosters of different colleges- you will notice some schools are heavy with LI kids some have none. No one has ever said that YJ are the only ones that are good enough to get good athletic scholarships. I would not send my kid to the school that offers 25% and costs 50,000 - so I would keep looking and see where she best fits in and have a good education at an affordable price. You siund very aggressive and angry. Good luck with your daughter and her recruiting process! [/quote]I sound angry on a written blog???? I will not tell you what to do with your daughter so I'll just say good luck, with you as an advisor she's going to need it

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
True Story:

Parent 1: Hey how is Susie doing?

Dad: She's great, you know she got a full ride to ____ State.

Parent 1: Really, I did not know they offered full scholarships.

Dad: Yup, 100% full ride.

Truth: Susie is an un-recruited walk on who is on full financial aid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
True Story:

Truth: Susie is an un-recruited walk on who is on full financial aid.

Dad wasn't lying.....just placed a SPIN on the truth!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why would a coach burn .75% on one kid; when they can get 2-3 kids with the same money....especially when the program is a good to great one.

My experience....and Sage would possibly agree.....10-50% are more realistic.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
angee indeed

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Look at the % of replies to the number of views to see where all the blowhards come from. Proof positive.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]True Story:

What is your point? He never said full athletic scholarship nor did he say scholarship, it appears you did. Secondly, who cares? Don't know the situation but you are trying to make him look bad. Maybe school could not offer athletic money but gave academic money instead. Maybe the family could not afford college tuition but her playing lax gave her an advantage and ability to get an education. Some of these comments about athletic scholarships are from people who do not have a clue. Lax is a great sport played by some great kids, some play to get athletic money, some play to get into a better academic institution and the vast majority play because they love it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think many of you are are missing the point of scholarships. Whatever money a child gets to go to college is a benefit that didn' t exist years ago. I could be wrong but title 9 has given girls so many more opportunities to even get scholarships or even go to college at all. When I went to college, 20 years ago, schools had to give the same number of scholarships to girls as they did boys. I believe they also had to offer an equal amount of sports teams between males and females. I can't imagine that that has changed.So even if a girl gets 25% that is one less year she is paying. If she could get financial aid even better. Financial aspects of college are confusing and tricky for most of us so stop fighting over the percentages. In the end it really doesn't matter because what these girls are getting is an opportunity to better themselves through education. All of us are lucky to live in an area where the competition is outstanding. This gives our girls an edge if and when they choose a school. Scholarships, academic or athletic are a gift and mean the same thing. Less debt for kids coming out of school.

Like Reply Quote
Page 75 of 327 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 326 327
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard