BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,818
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 26 of 31 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 30 31
Re: Maryland, D.C., Virginia Fall 2015 Summer 2016 Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Thanks for the info. So the 2020 team has lots of new players and they are still at 24. I know they carried a lot last year. Where did they new players come from and where did the old ones go. Also by reading your post there does not seem to be any open spots on either team 2020 or 2019? This is a hard age to change clubs. I think I will have to ride it out with my club.

VLC holds tryouts for the whole year in the Fall - that being said, I know they entertain individual tryouts depending on the circumstances. So, for instance, they need a 2nd goalie or an extra pole, etc. I would inquire with the coaching staff at VLC.

It is true the team needs to gel - on both sides of the ball. Lots of new kids, very limited practices. I'm not sure about Next Level, but kids came from Club Blue, Cavs and I believe Madlax. A few kids who played up on 2019 last year remained as well. Overall, a good base of talent, just have to get reps in.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the info. So the 2020 team has lots of new players and they are still at 24. I know they carried a lot last year. Where did they new players come from and where did the old ones go. Also by reading your post there does not seem to be any open spots on either team 2020 or 2019? This is a hard age to change clubs. I think I will have to ride it out with my club.

VLC holds tryouts for the whole year in the Fall - that being said, I know they entertain individual tryouts depending on the circumstances. So, for instance, they need a 2nd goalie or an extra pole, etc. I would inquire with the coaching staff at VLC.

It is true the team needs to gel - on both sides of the ball. Lots of new kids, very limited practices. I'm not sure about Next Level, but kids came from Club Blue, Cavs and I believe Madlax. A few kids who played up on 2019 last year remained as well. Overall, a good base of talent, just have to get reps in.

I will be very interested to see how this spring works out I think the top of the 2020 class in NOVA is way to spread out. Most years 10 of the top 15 players find there way on to one team. But it feels like the top 15 kids in NOVA are spread out between 5 or 6 teams. So my guess would be that no team from the NOVA area will win anything at the 2020 class. Just look at the success of VLC 2017, Madlax 2019, These years the top players found a way to end up on the same team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree completely

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I will be very interested to see how this spring works out I think the top of the 2020 class in NOVA is way to spread out. Most years 10 of the top 15 players find there way on to one team. But it feels like the top 15 kids in NOVA are spread out between 5 or 6 teams. So my guess would be that no team from the NOVA area will win anything at the 2020 class. Just look at the success of VLC 2017, Madlax 2019, These years the top players found a way to end up on the same team.

I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on why the talent is spread out this class. Is it because the younger kids want to be the star and not have to compete with others on the same team. Or have the top 6 NOVA clubs all done a better job of selling themselves to the local kids to talk them into staying with the team closer to the house?

Or are all the top kids just waiting there time to be old enough to play for Blackwolf then they will come together on one team?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Re: 2020 Talent Spread

I think there is a combination of issues. A top one is brand loyalty - for whatever reason a few kids have fallen in love (and vice versa) with their club. If so and so is the star of the show and gets what he needs, why move? If so and so does not need to pay full freight for his current club, why move? If I live in NOVA, why go another 20 miles for lax when the training is fine here?

BW is tough. He's a great coach and very demanding. There are parents that are too afraid to even approach him about their son plus the mystique.

BW and VLC suffer from a lack of training and playing (tournaments after the spring). VLC is the step-child for the Crabs but may provide an opportunity for NLF, WYSL, etc. that other clubs cannot. However, without the muscle down here to find fields and invested in improving the teams, the players do not get the repetition they would get at Next Level, Club Blue or Madlax.

Thoughts?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree. Good analysis on all points. Northern Va is tough....very few choices for youth to get quality lax without a myriad of undesirable factors. There are very few quality rec programs, but there ARE a few in the area which complicates things because a quality rec program is an exceptional value....about $250 vice $2000+. Madlax is comprehensive, but is a LOT of $$$ and Maddux's issues don't help, both of which hurt the club at the high school level. VLC just does not have the coaches at the youth level to provide a quality club-only model like one sees in Maryland. They DO excel at the high school level though as witnessed by their 2015 and 2017 teams, mostly because they are very consistent, they get kids good quality looks in front of quality college coaches, and they put a very good face on their organization (website, Facebook, quality coaches, etc). I think 2020 VLC may very well follow that model. One can never count out Trig though and you are right, he is not for everyone....some kids respond well to that and some don't. Madlax just seems to have a hard time in that year group, probably due in part to the unforgettable email and partly because it's a thin year group. Time will tell, but those 3 are really the only game in town in northern Va for club lax.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree. Good analysis on all points. Northern Va is tough....very few choices for youth to get quality lax without a myriad of undesirable factors. There are very few quality rec programs, but there ARE a few in the area which complicates things because a quality rec program is an exceptional value....about $250 vice $2000+. Madlax is comprehensive, but is a LOT of $$$ and Maddux's issues don't help, both of which hurt the club at the high school level. VLC just does not have the coaches at the youth level to provide a quality club-only model like one sees in Maryland. They DO excel at the high school level though as witnessed by their 2015 and 2017 teams, mostly because they are very consistent, they get kids good quality looks in front of quality college coaches, and they put a very good face on their organization (website, Facebook, quality coaches, etc). I think 2020 VLC may very well follow that model. One can never count out Trig though and you are right, he is not for everyone....some kids respond well to that and some don't. Madlax just seems to have a hard time in that year group, probably due in part to the unforgettable email and partly because it's a thin year group. Time will tell, but those 3 are really the only game in town in northern Va for club lax.

I agree with the last two guys for sure. So who would agree with this statement? If your son plays for 3D Mid Atlantic,Cavs, Battlelax, Fuze, and I am sure I am leaving some off. And your son is a high starter on these teams you should be trying out for VLC,Blackwolf and Madlax every year if your son is serious about lacrosse. I ask because I know for a fact people come to this site to help pick where and what they plan to do with there son and his travel team path.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Disagree about VLC's youth coaches. Both of those guys are excellent coaches and role models. From what I see, VLC suffers because they don't have a U9 and U11 team, so they usually don't have strong 7th grade teams because the best players have been locked up. That's why their MS teams usually aren't that great, but their HS teams are strong because the talent pool gets bigger.

Same with Blackwolf.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't think it ever hurts to tryout and see. Sometimes it may impact your kid's confidence and/or well being, but it's always good to take a look see. Leaving is more complicated because the aforementioned "brand loyalty" is a factor. Your kid has friends and is comfortable in a given situation and the coaches know him and he is getting quality playing time. Why mess with a good thing? You should also factor in the clubs involvement with HS teams/schools and colleges if that's a concern. It would suck to switch and go from a being a starter to a sub behind an equal or lesser player who has simply been there longer and has the coach's trust (or will play for that coach at his HS team). On the other hand, if the kid would shine in higher play and better competition, then that would be great. It just depends. Club wise, there are no Blackwolf tryouts....he wil find you...part of the "mystique". VLC is pretty loyal to past players and is tied in pretty close to Paul VI....they are also less instructive than the others. Madlax is a known quantity, but I get the sense that there is at least some loyalty to past players as well. I don't think any "rule" applies....it just depends on the kid, his goals, and what grad year team he is on.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't think it ever hurts to tryout and see. Sometimes it may impact your kid's confidence and/or well being, but it's always good to take a look see. Leaving is more complicated because the aforementioned "brand loyalty" is a factor. Your kid has friends and is comfortable in a given situation and the coaches know him and he is getting quality playing time. Why mess with a good thing? You should also factor in the clubs involvement with HS teams/schools and colleges if that's a concern. It would suck to switch and go from a being a starter to a sub behind an equal or lesser player who has simply been there longer and has the coach's trust (or will play for that coach at his HS team). On the other hand, if the kid would shine in higher play and better competition, then that would be great. It just depends. Club wise, there are no Blackwolf tryouts....he wil find you...part of the "mystique". VLC is pretty loyal to past players and is tied in pretty close to Paul VI....they are also less instructive than the others. Madlax is a known quantity, but I get the sense that there is at least some loyalty to past players as well. I don't think any "rule" applies....it just depends on the kid, his goals, and what grad year team he is on.

I can understand all of this post. But as a guy who has had 2 sons play for Madlax for many years. They play who they think is the best and keep the kids they think are the best. You can look at the Capital teams rosters and see where the kids go to high school. They keep Public school kids over Private all the time. I have seen kids be there top FOGO for 4 years and if a kid comes along better he plays. I think this is one of the main reasons there is such hate for Madlax out in the other clubs. Along with the Crazy owner we know we know.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Disagree about VLC's youth coaches. Both of those guys are excellent coaches and role models. From what I see, VLC suffers because they don't have a U9 and U11 team, so they usually don't have strong 7th grade teams because the best players have been locked up. That's why their MS teams usually aren't that great, but their HS teams are strong because the talent pool gets bigger.

Same with Blackwolf.

Sorry, I wasn't saying that VLC MS coaches are not quality coaches....both are excellent. Quantity is the issue here as middle school VLC coaches are generally on their own vice other clubs that have 2 or more coaches. Agree with other points....well said.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
VLC mystique? That is actually very funny. They've had two good HS teams in the past 5 years. For a while in some grades it was easy to poach kids in middle school from other clubs based on rec team friendships or school ties. But that is a hard model to sustain and it is fair to say it didn't sustain at VLC. The lack of resources to hire more non parent coaches for middle school teams and the complete absence of youth teams makes it impossible. I would wager the real competition to Madlax is the revamped Next Level club.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Re: 2020 Talent Spread

I think there is a combination of issues. A top one is brand loyalty - for whatever reason a few kids have fallen in love (and vice versa) with their club. If so and so is the star of the show and gets what he needs, why move? If so and so does not need to pay full freight for his current club, why move? If I live in NOVA, why go another 20 miles for lax when the training is fine here?

BW is tough. He's a great coach and very demanding. There are parents that are too afraid to even approach him about their son plus the mystique.

BW and VLC suffer from a lack of training and playing (tournaments after the spring). VLC is the step-child for the Crabs but may provide an opportunity for NLF, WYSL, etc. that other clubs cannot. However, without the muscle down here to find fields and invested in improving the teams, the players do not get the repetition they would get at Next Level, Club Blue or Madlax.

Thoughts?

Agreed. I think the biggest issue with VLC 2020 is practice and reps. The 2020 team is basically a new group. In the Fall, there was one 2 hour practice a week + tournaments. Not a whole lot of time to gel and prepare, kids missing practice for football, etc.

I think it'll be a better showing this spring/summer after the kids get more practices in ... and if things don't improve, I suspect kids will peel off to Blackwolf, Madlax etc. Another challenge this spring will be HoCo having 2020 games on Saturdays (assuming that is the case). NoVA rec league games are Saturday games as well. Not sure how VLC, Madlax, 3D etc. will handle that logistical nightmare.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
VLC mystique? That is actually very funny. They've had two good HS teams in the past 5 years. For a while in some grades it was easy to poach kids in middle school from other clubs based on rec team friendships or school ties. But that is a hard model to sustain and it is fair to say it didn't sustain at VLC. The lack of resources to hire more non parent coaches for middle school teams and the complete absence of youth teams makes it impossible. I would wager the real competition to Madlax is the revamped Next Level club.

I have an eldest son who played Madlax throughout, a younger son who did both Madlax and VLC and have several friends with kids in the VLC program right now, and your post has several inaccuracies.

VLC has had several very good teams.

2014 - VLC was better than Madlax (we saw it firsthand)
2015 - VLC was much better than Madlax
2016 - VLC was better than Madlax
2017 - VLC is much better than Madlax
2018 - Madlax is the better team (though someone said that team is breaking apart, but no idea if that's true)
2019 - Madlax has a much better team

So in six classes, VLC had a better team than Madlax four times.

Unlike BW, VLC has never poached any kids. Where did you get that?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cannons 2022 over Rough Riders 2022 in double OT in Goals box league.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Next level is well above Madlax in 2020.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can understand all of this post. But as a guy who has had 2 sons play for Madlax for many years. They play who they think is the best and keep the kids they think are the best. You can look at the Capital teams rosters and see where the kids go to high school. They keep Public school kids over Private all the time. I have seen kids be there top FOGO for 4 years and if a kid comes along better he plays. I think this is one of the main reasons there is such hate for Madlax out in the other clubs. Along with the Crazy owner we know we know.

Hate for Madlax because they play the best players? Are you saying Madlax is unique in that respect? Please. Every club plays the best players possible (at least BW and VLC do). That is not something unique to Madlax.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Next level is well above Madlax in 2020.

Based on what?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hate for Madlax because they play the best players? Are you saying Madlax is unique in that respect? Please. Every club plays the best players possible (at least BW and VLC do). That is not something unique to Madlax.

The poster was saying Madlax shows favoritism to returning kids. I was just responding to that.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have an eldest son who played Madlax throughout, a younger son who did both Madlax and VLC and have several friends with kids in the VLC program right now, and your post has several inaccuracies.

2018 - Madlax is the better team (though someone said that team is breaking apart, but no idea if that's true)

Do you realize that 3 of these 6 teams are no longer a team. So with the 3 left the one VLC team are playing there last games this summer. So that leaves two Madlax teams as better then VLC. So this tells me Madlax will be clearly better. Also those teams you have listed as better then Madlax have several players who used to play for Madlax.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For 2020 - the year in the thread regarding the BW mystique (definitely not VLC), Madlax Orange/Capital is better than VLC but not by much. The Next Level infusion has not happened as it has previous year to shore up Madlax.

Another factor is that four guys are playing for BW 2019 so have jumped ship earlier than normal.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just to add to the previous post, I've personally witnessed madlax beat both the 2014 team at the tri-state tournament, and the 2017 team. 2016 was a weak year for both madlax and vlc, would likely be a good match up if they ever played one another.

Do you realize that 3 of these 6 teams are no longer a team. So with the 3 left the one VLC team are playing there last games this summer. So that leaves two Madlax teams as better then VLC. So this tells me Madlax will be clearly better. Also those teams you have listed as better then Madlax have several players who used to play for Madlax.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For 2020 - the year in the thread regarding the BW mystique (definitely not VLC), Madlax Orange/Capital is better than VLC but not by much. The Next Level infusion has not happened as it has previous year to shore up Madlax.

Another factor is that four guys are playing for BW 2019 so have jumped ship earlier than normal.

No. My son plays for Madlax 2020, and even we know that Madlax is third in this area behind Next Level and VLC. For whatever reason, Madlax doesn't have a grip on the 2020s in this area.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No. My son plays for Madlax 2020, and even we know that Madlax is third in this area behind Next Level and VLC. For whatever reason, Madlax doesn't have a grip on the 2020s in this area.

My guess is Madlax has a very strong 2019 class. So when we where still doing U11,U13 and U15 age groups the kids who fell into the 2020 team left Madlax or never went to Madlax because they would have not been on the top team with the U13 age brackets not 2020/2019 brackets. But I really think its just 2020 is way more spread out then the other older classes. I have no idea what is coming down the pipe with the 2021,2022 and 2023. I am 100% sure that Madlax will have the best 2024 team for the next 8 years or so because that is the team the owners sons play on. And I know they are a really strong team now.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Madlax 2021 was really good a few years ago and then just vanished. Odd. They were really great competition for some of the AA teams in the area.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Madlax 2022 is one of best teams in US

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That was the Madlax U11 team a few years ago. It was made up of both 2021 and 2022 players. They are for the most part still with Madlax, but the split to single-year teams left 2021 less competitive.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Madlax 2021 was really good a few years ago and then just vanished. Odd. They were really great competition for some of the AA teams in the area.

When Madlax 2021 was still Madlax U11 they were a great team - went undefeated over the summer
The team split up when the area went grade base - the attack went to 2022 and a couple of their players left the program

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They are so good that they came in third in the league last year and got humiliated by newby 3D at their own fall tournament!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Crabs 2022 will be very strong too

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Madlax 2022 is one of best teams in US

Not even top 10

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They are so good that they came in third in the league last year and got humiliated by newby 3D at their own fall tournament!

If 3D is so good why are they playing in A and not AA in HoCo?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Madlax 2022 lost to 3D in their Fall Tourney? They won the over Crabs 2022. Were they missing players for their own Fall Tourney or has 3D improved?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Madlax is best team in DMV...and by virtue of that position, will be one of strongest teams in US....and Crabs beat Madlax earlier in the day in that tournament

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What top 2022 team has crabs beat?
What top 2022 team has madlax best

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2022 discussion best left until after summer tournaments....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Very good point with this age bracket it is best to wait tell after summer. The summer team is the full real team 99% of the time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Very good point with this age bracket it is best to wait tell after summer. The summer team is the full real team 99% of the time.

HoCo spring season will definitely identify the best in DMV. HoCo has great fields and great refs. You can't say that about the vast majority of summer tournaments. Summer Tourneys also have tons of guest players. You never know who will be in the line up one tournament to the next for a club - especially those clubs that have operations in other cities and can easily bring them in with the uniform already in place.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

HoCo spring season will definitely identify the best in DMV. HoCo has great fields and great refs. You can't say that about the vast majority of summer tournaments. Summer Tourneys also have tons of guest players. You never know who will be in the line up one tournament to the next for a club - especially those clubs that have operations in other cities and can easily bring them in with the uniform already in place.

I forgot for a sec that HOCO is going to be stacked this year. I guess the real question is what great to real good club is not going to be in HOCO this year.
So going into the summer the winner of the HOCO will be looking to beat the top Canadian and NY/NJ team. I think this new HOCo will help with the TOP 5 clubs at each grade level poles.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

HoCo spring season will definitely identify the best in DMV. HoCo has great fields and great refs. You can't say that about the vast majority of summer tournaments. Summer Tourneys also have tons of guest players. [b]You never know who will be in the line up one tournament to the next for a club - especially those clubs that have operations in other cities and can easily bring them in with the uniform already in place. [/b]

Just ask FCA this, it is a common occurrence with them. Bringing AA kids down to the "A" team for tournaments.

Page 26 of 31 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard