BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Annapolis Hawks
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,881
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 39 of 47 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 46 47
Re: Re: Boys 2019-9th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So if ND knocked on his door , he wouldn't commit? You would tell him not to commit ? Then you would be doing him an injustice. Plenty of opportunities there. Maybe an early commit keeps the kid focused and to continue the journey to possible success

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
So if ND knocked on his door , he wouldn't commit? You would tell him not to commit ? Then you would be doing him an injustice. Plenty of opportunities there. Maybe an early commit keeps the kid focused and to continue the journey to possible success

You are telling me if ND knocks you just say yes???? That would seem sad..so go to whatever school wants you first???..that's a parents thinking and not the kids. And you would think the parent was more mature..ND says come kid says yes parent pays 50K a year ..The winner ND..the kid leaves after freshmen year because he doesn't fit in and the parent's ego is. Shattered..Lol

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are telling me if ND knocks you just say yes???? That would seem sad..so go to whatever school wants you first???..that's a parents thinking and not the kids. And you would think the parent was more mature..ND says come kid says yes parent pays 50K a year ..The winner ND..the kid leaves after freshmen year because he doesn't fit in and the parent's ego is. Shattered..Lol

Sorry folks, a little news for you, ND isn't calling for your kid. If by some miracle they ask you, you better be smart enough to say YES! Any other answer would prove you are a dope.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry folks, a little news for you, ND isn't calling for your kid. If by some miracle they ask you, you better be smart enough to say YES! Any other answer would prove you are a dope.

Probably the dumbest answer I have heard on this site. Just say yes are you kidding me. Say yes to what . To verbally commit to a school just because they are asking is in insane. Isn't the kid suppose to want to go there or do you think all kids want to go to ND. Another parent drinking Kool Aid.. Please pass some to me next time around

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quick peak into the future... current HS class of 2017...

Daniel Reaume ’17, M, Brother Rice (Mich.) switched from Hofstra to Penn State back in December. Named an All-Star at Maverik Showtime, the 5’10, 170-pound junior plays club for Titanium. His club and high school teammate Carson Cochran ’17, a LSM and defenseman, switched from Fairfield to Rutgers just before Christmas. 6’3, 210-pound junior.

Jared Fernandez ’17, LSM, IMG Academy (Fla.) switched from Furman to Syracuse earlier this month. Fernandez plays club for SweetLax. He had been committed to the Paladins since last March.

Wheaton Jackoboice ’17, A, Culver (Ind.) switched from Richmond to Brown in the past two weeks. The lefty from Kansas City starts for Jon Posner’s Eagles and had been committed to the Spiders since April.

So, there will be some musical chairs over the next few years. If you have a 2019 don't worry if the offers are not rolling in right now.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So where are they playing?

IAC for DC, VA privates has the same rule. Couldn't happen in public right so where do these kids go? Or maybe the double holdback is a myth. More likely people refer to a kid born in Sept-Nov and does a hold back year, as a double hold back. Not really double. but since he would already be old for his normal grade, pretty bad form if not for purely academic/medical reasons. Such a kid could in fact be 2 years older than a kid in NY with a Nov bday, but not held back twice

Heldback before Kindegarten and then reclassifying is the common game. I know a kid personally who was a kindegarten holdback, he reclassed and is doing a PG year. Take one guess where hes committed too...... Duke!!!!!!

Probably Redshirt first year ...so it will be a 22 year old Freshman!! Too Funny..

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Probably the dumbest answer I have heard on this site. Just say yes are you kidding me. Say yes to what . To verbally commit to a school just because they are asking is in insane. Isn't the kid suppose to want to go there or do you think all kids want to go to ND. Another parent drinking Kool Aid.. Please pass some to me next time around

Don't think ND needs to pass around anything. Not a good school, a great school! Academics and sports and network after. Ok, your anti-Catholic, insert any of the following, UVA, Duke, a few Ivy's and just say YES don't be stupid.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't think ND needs to pass around anything. Not a good school, a great school! Academics and sports and network after. Ok, your anti-Catholic, insert any of the following, UVA, Duke, a few Ivy's and just say YES don't be stupid.

No we are throwing in Ivy League schools. My guess is a Boston university might carry more weight then an ND so let's put them in there. When you picked your college if you went, how did you decide?. What about Rochester University?..Just say yes to all of them, big or small just go because daddy says it's crazy for you not to. Who cares what you want son, it's what I want..Sounds selfish because it is. Dads ego is more important

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son was offered a spot at a very good college. When the conversation turned to scholarship or academic money we were told, very little is available. The school currently costs $66k to attend. My 14 year old son doesn't have a clue what he wants to major in or what career he wants to pursue. We decided to wait. We could have played the commit as a fall back game but decided to have some integrity. He has very good grades so we are expecting there to me other offers to similar schools and hopefully some real $$ is offered. If not, so be it. We'll make a more informed decision further down the line as he matures. Bottomline, I don't want him to be saddled with $300k in debt when it may not be necessary to pursue his career goals.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son was offered a spot at a very good college. When the conversation turned to scholarship or academic money we were told, very little is available. The school currently costs $66k to attend. My 14 year old son doesn't have a clue what he wants to major in or what career he wants to pursue. We decided to wait. We could have played the commit as a fall back game but decided to have some integrity. He has very good grades so we are expecting there to me other offers to similar schools and hopefully some real $$ is offered. If not, so be it. We'll make a more informed decision further down the line as he matures. Bottomline, I don't want him to be saddled with $300k in debt when it may not be necessary to pursue his career goals.

Finally a little sanity on here. Don't get sucked into the brand name BS game. No one is offering your son a CEO position when he gets out of school, this is a fact. $300k in debt will take a lifetime to pay off. Even if your son gets a high paying job when he gets out. I promise you, there are mid level top 20-30 schools, lax wise, that will offer your son a ton of money. That money will come from both Lax and academics. You're making a smart decision. You can't believe the kind of money they can come up with if they really want your son. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't hear it for myself. Good luck!

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
are you saying , you can get more money from mid level lax programs then from say the top 20 programs, serious question,

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
are you saying , you can get more money from mid level lax programs then from say the top 20 programs, serious question,
I'm not the original poster, but it becomes simple (and sometimes not so simple) math. D1 lacrosse programs have 12.6 full 'athletic' scholarships per year per whole team. (Most top D1 schools have 45 men rosters, so there is really not much money there) All the money comes on the academic side, where depending on the school they could be looking for 90+ grades or 95+ grades in all AP classes, so it all depends. I'm currently going through this with my baseball son who is a 2018 grad, but unfortunately a C+/B student. (D1 Baseball has 11.4 Full Athletic Scholarships per 35 men rosters) I don't have the lacrosse analogy, but as one baseball head coach at an ACC school said, if you can throw 95 mph we can find you some money. (Unfortunately, my son's not a pitcher)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not the original poster, but it becomes simple (and sometimes not so simple) math. D1 lacrosse programs have 12.6 full 'athletic' scholarships per year per whole team. (Most top D1 schools have 45 men rosters, so there is really not much money there) All the money comes on the academic side, where depending on the school they could be looking for 90+ grades or 95+ grades in all AP classes, so it all depends. I'm currently going through this with my baseball son who is a 2018 grad, but unfortunately a C+/B student. (D1 Baseball has 11.4 Full Athletic Scholarships per 35 men rosters) I don't have the lacrosse analogy, but as one baseball head coach at an ACC school said, if you can throw 95 mph we can find you some money. (Unfortunately, my son's not a pitcher)

I'm told many programs are trying to hang on to some of their money to bolster their poaching chances. I respect your decision and hope it works out for your son.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your son is a top level player, yes! If he has great grades, yes. Combine the two, and you can get some serious cash. between the two it is possible to get North of 55%+. If your family qualifies for need based aid, there's even more money to be had. With regard to the top programs, I'm hearing many are making ZERO $ offers and parents are all too willing to accept. Coaches are all too happy to save the money for the stud that doesn't qualify for Academic money. Many early recruits are giving a verbal for less than $5,000 per year. Add in the fact that Roster sizes are ballooning to over 60+ players at some top Lax programs, and the amount of money to go around continues to dwindle. If you have a 42-44 man roster there's more to go around and the better players will definitely get more at that top 20-30 level school. For those where finances are a consideration, and your son has great grades, and is a great player, you can do very well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is considered good grades?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is considered good grades?

Depends on the college you're looking, while a 92 gpa is very good in general, at the Ivies it's not. Research schools by putting School name and SAT scores after it. There are graphs out there that will show you who got in and what grades for every school. Keep in mind, these are for non-recruited athletes. Meaning the recruit won't have to have same grades to gain acceptance. However, if your son's grades are not on the higher end for that school, the prosepects for academic money may not be that great. Generally speaking, over qualification leads to higher academic money reward.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son got what amounts to 75% of his tuition taken care of provided he does what he has to do academically. He verballed to a mid level D1 and I can say without any hesitation he wouldnt have gotten anywhere near that money from and ACC, BIG10, or a Patriot for that matter.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son got what amounts to 75% of his tuition taken care of provided he does what he has to do academically. He verballed to a mid level D1 and I can say without any hesitation he wouldnt have gotten anywhere near that money from and ACC, BIG10, or a Patriot for that matter.

That is because your son is the only 2018 ( reclassed I might add) at that school that usually is a later recruiter. You can also get in there with a 950 SAT, student-athletes even less. Can't compare to the other schools, so stop already.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is because your son is the only 2018 ( reclassed I might add) at that school that usually is a later recruiter. You can also get in there with a 950 SAT, student-athletes even less. Can't compare to the other schools, so stop already.

The original poster asked if mid to lower level lax programs tend to give more money, so in my sons case the answer was yes. I wasnt comparing the schools at all.

Since you seem intent on breaking chops I will entertain your nonsense. My son reclassed instead of doing a PG year which he was given the option to do, he is actually still the same age or younger than most of the kids in his year. It was his decision and it is turning out to be a very good decision.

I dont know where you got that 950 number but you couldnt be more wrong about that.

So since you seem to know so much about me, please look me up and we can discuss this over a beer like gentlemen.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm told many programs are trying to hang on to some of their money to bolster their poaching chances. I respect your decision and hope it works out for your son.

Coaches are selling the dream to Freshman right now and parents are more than willing to agree to commit to a school without a dime in financial assistance. Some parents bite, others wait, its really not complicated. If a school is offering very little money and the player has "very good grades", what is the downside to waiting?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The original poster asked if mid to lower level lax programs tend to give more money, so in my sons case the answer was yes. I wasnt comparing the schools at all.

Since you seem intent on breaking chops I will entertain your nonsense. My son reclassed instead of doing a PG year which he was given the option to do, he is actually still the same age or younger than most of the kids in his year. It was his decision and it is turning out to be a very good decision.

I dont know where you got that 950 number but you couldnt be more wrong about that.

So since you seem to know so much about me, please look me up and we can discuss this over a beer like gentlemen.

can we bring this back to a nice/friendly talk. I appreciate the comments and honesty (I hope). But is your son a 2017 reclassed to 2018, when did he reclass. When was he recruited. can you share the league he will play in.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

can we bring this back to a nice/friendly talk. I appreciate the comments and honesty (I hope). But is your son a 2017 reclassed to 2018, when did he reclass. When was he recruited. can you share the league he will play in.

I never was unfriendly. I simply was relaying my sons experience in response to someones post. In my estimation this forum is supposed to be about an exchange of ideas and shared experiences and hopefully help others on their journeys. Some people like to come on here and spew nonsense out of jealousy or some misguided sense of integrity. Reading comprehension doesnt seem to be a strong suit of many of those same people either, so naturally everything gets misunderstood.

So moving on, my son is repeating his sophomore year at a prep school. He was a late 99 birthday and was a 2017 who should have been a 2018 all along. He played travel lacrosse on Long Island as a 2017 up until last summer. He verballed this past fall to a school in the America East. Hope this helps and I wish you best of luck in your college search.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a real question, not being sarcastic in any means. I don't understand the reclassification or PG year thing. Do kids stay in the same school and repeat a grade for no other reason but lavrosse, or do the have to switch schools. My son is a 2019 who is considered a good player. I just cant imagine telling him he is going to repeat 9th grade and him being ok with it. Is this practice really more common that I think, because I don't know anyone in our school or on our travel team who has done this.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]I have a real question, not being sarcastic in any means. I don't understand the reclassification or PG year thing. Do kids stay in the same school and repeat a grade for no other reason but lavrosse, or do the have to switch schools. My son is a 2019 who is considered a good player. I just cant imagine telling him he is going to repeat 9th grade and him being ok with it. Is this practice really more common that I think, because I don't know anyone in our school or on our travel team who has done this. [/quote

For public school kids the only way they will let you repeat a grade is for academic failure or behavioral concerns. In my sons case it was an academic and athletic decision as well as other factors. My son was offered this opportunity and I left the final decision up to him. He decided to give it a try and so far it has been a great experience for him. Make no mistake, it was an extremely difficult decision and one that we did not take lightly. It is more common than you think, although on Long Island it is less common because the public and private school programs are very strong and the travel lacrosse is very good.

As for a PG year It is an option for many kids who may need a year to get their grades up or the school they are committed to may have asked them to do it for scholarship/roster reasons. My sons school has several PG kids who are committed to D1 and D3 schools.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you for your response. Sometimes it's all so much to take in and we all want to do what is best for our kids. So what I'm hoping is that with good grades and solid play there is a place for kids who want to play. Good luck to your son!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you for your response. Sometimes it's all so much to take in and we all want to do what is best for our kids. So what I'm hoping is that with good grades and solid play there is a place for kids who want to play. Good luck to your son!

I think with the growth of the sport there is a place for any kid who wants to play provided their grades and skill level are there. I agree with you 100%, we all just want whats best for our kids. The goal is to put them in the best position to succeed and make the most of their opportunities. Best of luck to you and your son as well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Will any 2019 freshmen make the Varsity rosters at some of the prestigious big time public programs like Manhassett, Garden City, Syosset, Ward Melville, West Islip, Smithtown East/West, etc?

HHH will have one, but any other HS Varsity teams getting some impact fresmen?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Will any 2019 freshmen make the Varsity rosters at some of the prestigious big time public programs like Manhassett, Garden City, Syosset, Ward Melville, West Islip, Smithtown East/West, etc?

What about 2019 Freshman making any of the big public programs in Ridgefield, Darien, Yorktown, Bronxville, etc.?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pleasantville will have a Freshman playing on the varsity team, but he played varsity last year as an 8th grader.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What does it matter if it's a prestigious HS..If a kid makes it as a freshmen at any HS that is an accomplishment ,as long as the boy is getting better that's all that matters.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What does it matter if it's a prestigious HS..If a kid makes it as a freshmen at any HS that is an accomplishment ,as long as the boy is getting better that's all that matters.

Right playing varsity as a freshman is an accomplishment.

However, a freshman playing varsity at Ward Melville, Manhasset Garden City, Smithtown, Syosset, or Pequa would likely be considerably more "accomplished" than a freshmen playing at Great Neck, North Babylon, East Rockaway, Wayandanch, West Hempstead, Roslyn.

Good luck getting a look while playing at any of the latter schools.

Do you understand the question now?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

However, a freshman playing varsity at Ward Melville, Manhasset Garden City, Smithtown, Syosset, or Pequa would likely be considerably more "accomplished" than a freshmen playing at Great Neck, North Babylon, East Rockaway, Wayandanch, West Hempstead, Roslyn.

I guess it depends who is backing you and where you play travel too?

I will say it till I am blue in the face. there will be a few freshman that this will be their second year playing varsity. There were 6 to 8 8th graders playing Varsity last year. Maybe not at top schools but not a bottom schools either. The experience garnered is unquestionable. These will be boys you will hear about in the years to come. Undoubtedly 3/4 of them will probably be scooped up this time next year if they aren't already in talks.

It is great to play for a district rich in tradition but it is not needed. It is not a prerequisite. You are right a freshman playing at tradition rich school must be a standout. But don't sit back and diminish the accolades that those who make varsity as a Freshman deserve because they don't have the right zip code.

Good luck to all the next few weeks!

BTW - I think each of those tradition rich schools you mention could have at least 1 freshman represented. One or two teams may have 2 or more. They all have some great freshman

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"getting a look" where have you been. The freshman from the prestigious High schools that you mention have already gotten their "look" some are committed already and others are currently being recruited. None have played a varsity game. All of the recruiting has been done on the club circuit. If a talented player from one of the less competitive high schools plays for the top team at 91 or Express they will get "looks". Very few of the 100 plus 2019 commits played varsity last year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I will say it till I am blue in the face. there will be a few freshman that this will be their second year playing varsity. There were 6 to 8 8th graders playing Varsity last year. Maybe not at top schools but not a bottom schools either. The experience garnered is unquestionable. These will be boys you will hear about in the years to come. Undoubtedly 3/4 of them will probably be scooped up this time next year if they aren't already in talks.

It is great to play for a district rich in tradition but it is not needed. It is not a prerequisite. You are right a freshman playing at tradition rich school must be a standout. But don't sit back and diminish the accolades that those who make varsity as a Freshman deserve because they don't have the right zip code.

BTW - I think each of those tradition rich schools you mention could have at least 1 freshman represented. One or two teams may have 2 or more. They all have some great freshman

I agree with you... can't diminish everyone, but if you are a standout freshman in any of the tradition rich schools then you are likely something very special. A stand out at a weaker program might have a harder time standing toe to toe (not impossible - but unlikely).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mm

I agree with you... can't diminish everyone, but if you are a standout freshman in any of the tradition rich schools then you are likely something very special. A stand out at a weaker program might have a harder time standing toe to toe (not impossible - but unlikely).

I don't think the kids that played as 8th graders made that big of an impact at all..I'm
Sure they received playing time. By the way your travel teams is where you will get recognized .no college coaches are looking to see a very good attack player beat a kid who's level is not up to his. Not the other kids fault if he enjoys playing lacrosse but not as dedicated.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mm

I don't think the kids that played as 8th graders made that big of an impact at all..I'm
Sure they received playing time. By the way your travel teams is where you will get recognized .no college coaches are looking to see a very good attack player beat a kid who's level is not up to his. Not the other kids fault if he enjoys playing lacrosse but not as dedicated.

That view will change with this crop of 8th graders playing

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pleasantville will have a Freshman playing on the varsity team, but he played varsity last year as an 8th grader.

Pleasantville is NOT a prestigious program. If he was playing for any of the programs named that would be noteworthy. But, playing Varsity as a freshman at any program is an accomplishment to be proud of.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Pleasantville is NOT a prestigious program. If he was playing for any of the programs named that would be noteworthy. But, playing Varsity as a freshman at any program is an accomplishment to be proud of.

48-12 in the last 3 years is nice. State semis last year. You know where you can go with history. They are definitely on the rise.

Did he start, what are the points or is he a defender or goalie. If goalie that is interesting and may diminish CSH.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Massapequa will have 9th graders on varsity this year. A very strong group of athletes as freshman.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Dad. I'm sure they won't see the field. Only when you play Freeport or JfK. Not knocking the kids but I'm sure a school the size of 'Pequa has plenty of upperclassemen who are more deserving to play.

Page 39 of 47 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard