BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,788
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 70 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 69 70
Re: Greater Howard Club Lacrosse Conference (HoCo)
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Don't you guys have better things to do than worry about what month constitutes an age cutoff (when we're talking about grade based teams)?

Although you would never admit it, you must be the parent of a holdback or on a team gaining an advantage from holdbacks. We should ask you if you have nothing better to do than manipulate a youth lacrosse game.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
By age appropriate 8th graders; they were born after what month in 2001

January

January 2001 birthday in about 35-40 states would be a 9th grader, Maryland is one of them.

It's the Howard County league - follow Howard County age cutoffs - oh wait - they are still stuck in U13, U11, U9 - no help there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't you guys have better things to do than worry about what month constitutes an age cutoff (when we're talking about grade based teams)?

Although you would never admit it, you must be the parent of a holdback or on a team gaining an advantage from holdbacks. We should ask you if you have nothing better to do than manipulate a youth lacrosse game.

I'm not. My aon wasn't heldback and he's playing in college now. It's not worth throwing a fit over something that has changed. But keep talking like a drama queen.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the goalie didn't attend pre first.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the goalie didn't attend pre first.

he is just older and started school later than the other kids his age? He is born before 9/1/2001!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stop already. My son is age/grade appropriate. It really doesn't bother me...adapt and overcome. College coaches don't care, why should you? Move on or have your son pick up chess

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stop already. My son is age/grade appropriate. It really doesn't bother me...adapt and overcome. College coaches don't care, why should you? Move on or have your son pick up chess

none of these kids are college players yet, why would the college coaches care. You support and enable clubs to cheat, you are just as guilty.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If the rules are grade based and not age based, you are the dummy yelling about cheating when no rules are being broken.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good piont

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Such a tough guy. Just because it doesn't bother you, it does bother the greater majority. It is not all about college - it is about teaching kids fair play, sportsmanship and right from wrong. Taking advantage of peers and manipulating the rules is not okay. Having the kids who are doing the right thing play against those who are manipulating the system just to win IS an issue on many levels and often times the size difference in youth lacrosse during the middle school years.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If the rules are grade based and not age based, you are the dummy yelling about cheating when no rules are being broken.

Integrity...get some!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When the grade based rules were established no reasonable person could have realized how low some parents would go in order to win and give their kid an advantage. Well, maybe nobody except RM who pushed so hard for it and then immediately filled his teams with hold backs and then others followed. Now is the time to stand up and say "we broke it" and fix it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm not. My aon wasn't heldback and he's playing in college now. It's not worth throwing a fit over something that has changed. But keep talking like a drama queen.

Still hanging out on the youth boards and slinging insults? If your son is not dealing with the issue than it is really easy for you to throw out insults at those who watch it happen regularly.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
By age appropriate 8th graders; they were born after what month in 2001

January

January 2001 birthday in about 35-40 states would be a 9th grader, Maryland is one of them.

It's the Howard County league - follow Howard County age cutoffs - oh wait - they are still stuck in U13, U11, U9 - no help there.

I am sure their County Executive would be interested to know what their youth sports division is up to and how their practices and treatment of age and fair competition are different across the board and do not adhere to their public school age guidelines. No other sport would they allow this-must be someone on the inside who supports the practice.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Still hanging out on the youth boards and slinging insults? If your son is not dealing with the issue than it is really easy for you to throw out insults at those who watch it happen regularly.

You are a totally woman.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

none of these kids are college players yet, why would the college coaches care. You support and enable clubs to cheat, you are just as guilty.

Sadly, what kid (or their parents) does not see a 2020 kid get a commitment and think that it is only a year or two away. The years for challenging their kids to improve are over and the years for demonstrating dominance are here. Thanks NCAA (and Syracuse)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sadly, what kid (or their parents) does not see a 2020 kid get a commitment and think that it is only a year or two away. The years for challenging their kids to improve are over and the years for demonstrating dominance are here. Thanks NCAA (and Syracuse)

What type of parent truly believes commiting in 9th or 10th grade is a good idea?

If your kid is that good and goes unrecruitrd he will be a walk on and get his books paid for like the others.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
12.6 scholarships for a D I program. 40 or so on the roster. Do the math, and put some $ in a SAT prep class along with those Lax camps

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What type of parent truly believes commiting in 9th or 10th grade is a good idea?

If your kid is that good and goes unrecruitrd he will be a walk on and get his books paid for like the others.

Good luck with that walk-on thing. It works so well. Coaches leave plenty of room for walk ons!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think what he means is if you are not getting sports money at all you are a walk on. Some walk ons are invited to play for the team but without money you are a walk on.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cant walk on - if you don't get accepted into the school..... the point of all of this should be getting into a school you would not otherwise be able to get into - if not for being on the Coach's Recruit List.....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"the point of all of this should be getting into a school you would not otherwise be able to get into"

BINGO!!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Study more so you can get into school. No money in Lax unless you fleece parents of young children with dreams of getting into college and run tournaments.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Study more so you can get into school. No money in Lax unless you fleece parents of young children with dreams of getting into college and run tournaments.

Based upon your sentence structure, you should study more...that being said, If one can leverage lacrosse to help get into a better school, one should do so. This is the land of opportunity. If a solid B student can leverage his athleticism to get into a "reach' school, why not? Schools look for a well rounded student body. Some leverage musical instruments, some with a particular major and some use athletics. No excuses, make the most out of what God gave you!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"the point of all of this should be getting into a school you would not otherwise be able to get into"

BINGO!!!!!

But it should be done without manipulating the rules. holding bac and creating advantages for your child at the expense of others.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cant walk on - if you don't get accepted into the school..... the point of all of this should be getting into a school you would not otherwise be able to get into - if not for being on the Coach's Recruit List.....

As a parent of a kid who was not recruited, did get into a selective college and did walk on for lacrosse at a ranked D1 program I respectfully disagree.

Another point is if there is a selective school a kid would otherwise not get into, then that same kid shouldn't merit admission. If a kid DOES meet the academic criteria to apply and get into a selective college, then applies to 8 and gets into 2-3...that's how it goes. It is a fair point that only a sports hook can ensure a kid gets into the specific first choice. But a top student will have top choices.

If a stud lacrosse recruit DOES NOT meet the academic criteria to apply to several selective colleges and have any hope to get admitted to one, I'd agree that being a recruit is critical. I'd also make the point those same kids don't belong at selective colleges. They are taking spots away from applicants immensely more qualified, and I don't buy the 'lacrosse adds diversity' to the college community bullcrap. After having a son go through an Ivy and graduate last year I could count at least a few lax bros who were a waste of an Ivy opportunity. I believe that as the sport grows the selective colleges will have more conflicts with coaches who recruit down the academic food chain. Lacrosse is a demographic with enough great players who are also great students. It isn't like lacrosse is making any money as a property for colleges either.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As a parent of a kid who was not recruited, did get into a selective college and did walk on for lacrosse at a ranked D1 program I respectfully disagree.

Another point is if there is a selective school a kid would otherwise not get into, then that same kid shouldn't merit admission. If a kid DOES meet the academic criteria to apply and get into a selective college, then applies to 8 and gets into 2-3...that's how it goes. It is a fair point that only a sports hook can ensure a kid gets into the specific first choice. But a top student will have top choices.

If a stud lacrosse recruit DOES NOT meet the academic criteria to apply to several selective colleges and have any hope to get admitted to one, I'd agree that being a recruit is critical. I'd also make the point those same kids don't belong at selective colleges. They are taking spots away from applicants immensely more qualified, and I don't buy the 'lacrosse adds diversity' to the college community bullcrap. After having a son go through an Ivy and graduate last year I could count at least a few lax bros who were a waste of an Ivy opportunity. I believe that as the sport grows the selective colleges will have more conflicts with coaches who recruit down the academic food chain. Lacrosse is a demographic with enough great players who are also great students. It isn't like lacrosse is making any money as a property for colleges either.

That is not how colleges approach the admissions process. Academics do come first but a college is looking for a diverse student body. Athletics, majors, various talents and most importantly, academics factor into the admissions process. Schools need to fill certain majors. Schools need band members that play the clarinet. Schools need athletes. Schools need diversity. You are ignorant to say lacrosse doesn't add to diversity. All sports add to diversity as do actors, dancers, etc...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Based upon your sentence structure, you should study more...that being said, If one can leverage lacrosse to help get into a better school, one should do so. This is the land of opportunity. If a solid B student can leverage his athleticism to get into a "reach' school, why not? Schools look for a well rounded student body. Some leverage musical instruments, some with a particular major and some use athletics. No excuses, make the most out of what God gave you!

If he is a B student he may fail out of the reach school as he is not academically qualified and waste your money. Put playing a D1 sport, which is a full time job, along with going to school full time and that is a receipt for success. LOL This is the same reason why quotas for admission are actually regressive and lead to higher fail/drop out rates as unqualified students get into school that are too rigorous for their ability.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If he is a B student he may fail out of the reach school as he is not academically qualified and waste your money. Put playing a D1 sport, which is a full time job, along with going to school full time and that is a receipt for success. LOL This is the same reason why quotas for admission are actually regressive and lead to higher fail/drop out rates as unqualified students get into school that are too rigorous for their ability.

Just say what you want to say you want the school to be filled with White private school kids [lacrosse] with giving anyone a chance at this great school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just say what you want to say you want the school to be filled with White private school kids [lacrosse] with giving anyone a chance at this great school.

You are assuming only white private school kids are smart. I know many white private school kids that are dumb as rocks. They are great athletes but still should not go to Hopkins. Love the culture of victimization.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stop being racist! You liberal progressive people want everything handed to you, try earning it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The above writer is what is wrong with America today! You want a chance, earn it. Many "white private school kids" have 2 working parents earning a living so their child can attend a school. Others sit back and collect from Obama, do nothing and expect everything. Too much apologizing today, to many entitlements...I don't make a ton of $, but I do what I can to make my child's future better than I had. Too many people on this board making excuses for their kids, whether it be re-classing, private schools or paying for better access to schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wow. reading this thread is amazing. you know the topic is the Hoco YOUTH lacrosse league? How we got to charges of racism and references to Obama is beyond me.

And I can't believe this went unchallenged --

The point of kids playing lacrosse or any other sport is NOT or shouldn't be a vehicle to get into selective colleges, scholarships or pro careers. It should be because it's fun, they get exercise, make friends and learn life lessons they can apply beyond the playing field. Our kids are not entitled to admittance to their "reach" schools just because they are decent at lacrosse. It helps for some and good for them. Just like the even smaller number that get scholarship $. Playing this great game doesn't need an end game, especially when we us parents are the ones with agendas. Leads to all kinds of BS that sucks the life right out of the sport and feeds the money machine. Let the kids play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So which 2020 teams are fielding a AA team in Hoco this year?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Spot On! I hate how once the kids hit the HS level it is all about what the college coaches think! Who cares what they think? Enjoy the game, for most of the kids it will be over for them after the high years anyway. Prospect days, showcase events, pricey club fees, etc. To possibly receive a reduction of $10,000 at a school that costs $40,000 to $60,000! Winner, winner chicken dinner!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So which 2020 teams are fielding a AA team in Hoco this year?

If all NYPLL teams join -

for sure:
Team 91 Force
FCA Blue
Looneys Orange
Crabs
Hawks

You would think-
Club Blue
Madlax
Bethesda
T91 Platinum (they've billed themselves as AA)
Roughriders
Thunder
Next Level
Cannons
MDX

Probably not-

Koopers
FCA White
Laxworld
Rock
Looneys green
Breakers
VLC
Hawks black
Diamondbacks

Probably missing some

There's a whole bunch of others to make a 3rd division. Will be interesting to see if teams in that second tier challenge themselves in AA or go for trophy in A.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wow. reading this thread is amazing. you know the topic is the Hoco YOUTH lacrosse league? How we got to charges of racism and references to Obama is beyond me.

The point of kids playing lacrosse or any other sport is NOT or shouldn't be a vehicle to get into selective colleges, scholarships or pro careers. It should be because it's fun, they get exercise, make friends and learn life lessons they can apply beyond the playing field. Our kids are not entitled to admittance to their "reach" schools just because they are decent at lacrosse. It helps for some and good for them. Just like the even smaller number that get scholarship $. Playing this great game doesn't need an end game, especially when we us parents are the ones with agendas. Leads to all kinds of BS that sucks the life right out of the sport and feeds the money machine. Let the kids play.

And how about if your son loves lacrosse AND was able to attend a reach school because of his ability? He plays for the love of the game but benefited from his talents. If at any time he said he was done with lacrosse, I would have had no problem if he walked away. Seems some expect an apology because it worked for some.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And how about if your son loves lacrosse AND was able to attend a reach school because of his ability? He plays for the love of the game but benefited from his talents. If at any time he said he was done with lacrosse, I would have had no problem if he walked away. Seems some expect an apology because it worked for some.

That's great. Not sure where you get expecting apology from above. Sounds likes his passion for lacrosse maximized his abilities and resulted in being recruited to play lacrosse at a great school. They way it should work. Congratulations to him.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It can work for some but the people on this blog seem to emphasize LAX skill over book smarts. If you get into a reach school but you are not equipped for the rigorous academic environment, your lax skills will not matter. Now if you played football that is a different story. Most good football schools are not academically challenging or if they are the football players are criminal justice majors or sociology majors. My roommate was a football player at a D1 school that was academically challenging. Criminal justice major, drafted by the Maimi dolphins, did not finish his degree, jump over a pile in preseason, knee buckled and he was cut. I think he is a bouncer now or a truck driver at age 46.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is a fair point that only a sports hook can ensure a kid gets into the specific first choice.

Now, in my mind, that's the point. At a lot of top schools, even top state schools, there are a lot more qualified (i.e., scores and grades are near average for admits) students being denied admission than there are students being admitted. Obviously, this is partially a factor of top students applying to 15-20 schools, turning it all into a crap shoot.

I agree I would not want my kid to get a sports bump of a magnitude that put him or her in the bottom third of the class in terms of grades and scores. That's not to say that's not a good thing for many kids, just not what I would want for mine.

Back on topic, I think it's great to have all the DMV clubs in one league. Will they ever add midweek games?

Like Reply Quote
Page 9 of 70 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 69 70
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard