BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys 2030 Midatlantic
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,851
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 48 of 90 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 89 90
Re: Boys 2020-8th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by America's Game
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Read it again....he is saying in the short term the kids who hit puberty early have an advantage but that decreases over time as kids who grow later catch up and maybe surpass them in size and strength.

I do get it but with this early recruiting players are deemed the best in 7th 8th and even 9th grade and early puberty is the main reason for disparity at the young ages. Early puberty is no indicator of ultimate athletic ability but it does play a role on what teams these kids play on and what looks they get at an earlier age.
The whole early recruiting is really interesting because coaches are taking a risk on players that really have not fully matured. I do get talent is talent but given two players of equal talent at 14-16 but one has hit puberty 99% of the the time the one who has hit it will be better at that moment. In my opinion the early recruiting and the expansion of the sport has resulted in the overall parody of the sport. Thats why you have close games between colleges that maybe 20 years ago wouldnt have even been close. I think its not a science but pot luck when you commit a kid in 9th or even 10th.

Where is the risk. Typically the coaches are offering to pay for book money. Most of these kids have their parents paying the freight. If they turn out to be good players great. If not they ride the pine or transfer. ER is a win/win for the coaches.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Read it again....he is saying in the short term the kids who hit puberty early have an advantage but that decreases over time as kids who grow later catch up and maybe surpass them in size and strength.

I do get it but with this early recruiting players are deemed the best in 7th 8th and even 9th grade and early puberty is the main reason for disparity at the young ages. Early puberty is no indicator of ultimate athletic ability but it does play a role on what teams these kids play on and what looks they get at an earlier age.
The whole early recruiting is really interesting because coaches are taking a risk on players that really have not fully matured. I do get talent is talent but given two players of equal talent at 14-16 but one has hit puberty 99% of the the time the one who has hit it will be better at that moment. In my opinion the early recruiting and the expansion of the sport has resulted in the overall parody of the sport. Thats why you have close games between colleges that maybe 20 years ago wouldnt have even been close. I think its not a science but pot luck when you commit a kid in 9th or even 10th.

Where is the risk. Typically the coaches are offering to pay for book money. Most of these kids have their parents paying the freight. If they turn out to be good players great. If not they ride the pine or transfer. ER is a win/win for the coaches.

Can you be guaranteed money in early recruiting? I thought that until the letter comes for your kid to sign, any amount discussed earlier may not be the same. Do coaches actually guarantee certain amount of money to a 9th grader?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Can you be guaranteed money in early recruiting? I thought that until the letter comes for your kid to sign, any amount discussed earlier may not be the same. Do coaches actually guarantee certain amount of money to a 9th grader?

They did to mine but we have another year to go to the LOI. I'll let you know. But if they come up short then perhaps my son will think again. The money is not a game changer, but it helps make the choice. If the coach doesn't keep his word now, then what else would any of us expect down the line.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Coaches jobs are on the line. I think many of the coaches who have embraced early recruiting are on the hot seat. Look at the schools with the most early recruits most dont make the final 4. When you dont have skin in the game of course there is no risk. Its the livelihood for these coaches. I feel that many do it just not to miss the studs but I also think for the late bloomer that has the skill to play lacrosse at the highest level gets picked up in 11th and 12 grade. This has resulted in the parody we see today.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They should go get a real job. They would make more and be able to spend more time with their families.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Coaches jobs are on the line. I think many of the coaches who have embraced early recruiting are on the hot seat. Look at the schools with the most early recruits most dont make the final 4. When you dont have skin in the game of course there is no risk. Its the livelihood for these coaches. I feel that many do it just not to miss the studs but I also think for the late bloomer that has the skill to play lacrosse at the highest level gets picked up in 11th and 12 grade. This has resulted in the parody we see today.

Really??? Name the big time early recruiter/big time coach that is on the hot seat. C'mon.....you contradicted yourself in your answer...these coaches offer little to get kids/parents to commit. If these coaches actually get 3 starters/year they are golden. The rest ride the pine with daddy paying the way.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most kids that go early are offered scholarships! Come to grips with that it's the truth

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It will specifically be great for kids with some talent who have not physically matured in 8th grade but will probably catch up to the "man-child" post puberty superstars. The playing field will be more level by the time they reach late 10th-early 11th grade. Right now it is often about just who is biggest and most physically mature.

I sure hope this is the case. I'm not aware of any link between hitting puberty early and ultimate athletic ability.

The idea that college prospect camps would be limited to kids who haven't even played their sophomore season of lacrosse is insane. Flipping it so that the focus is on kids who have finished 10th grade (even if they track younger kids) is far superior for everyone.

I don't know how you can say a child hitting puberty early doesn't effect athletic ability. I have seen it time and time again when a player who is more mature physically is deemed the best player on a team in 5th even 6th grade because he hits puberty a bit earlier than most. He is bigger faster and a bit more skilled because of the testosterone kicking in because of puberty. Have you ever seen that long gangly kid tripping over his feet at 12 but at 14 he's more coordinated. Well it has to do with puberty and getting comfortable with your body and its overall development. Eventually the playing field evens out usually by 9th to 10th grade but it does happen. In 7th grade there was a player that was 5 inches taller than my son and you could see he was more physically developed hair on his face and legs. Well its now 10th grade and my son is a full head taller and bigger so on that 50/50 ball where that player used to win 80% of the time when they were younger now my son wins it 80%. Not saying the kids skill has diminished or my son became a superstar but as puberty kicks in a whole new physicality sets in and it does change a player overall.

Agreed. I think players get a lot more athletic when they hit puberty, quite apart from size.

If recruiting gets pushed back, then what I hope is that the very athletic, highly skilled kid who hits puberty late is no longer shut out of the ER game. A world where recruiting classes are full before the kids even play a HS game as a sophomore is crazy, as is a world where prospect days aren't even open to juniors.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What teams are playing in NYPLL this year??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Book money
Most of the early 2018 commits were offered 1/2 ride( including my son) why would you commit early for no money.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Book money
Most of the early 2018 commits were offered 1/2 ride( including my son) why would you commit early for no money.

But is this binding? Especially if they notice a decline in the play as you get closer to graduating? There has to be some feedback on this, but I guess it would be from the older kids, not on this thread. I'm thinking nothing is binding as there is no contract/letter signed, but a gentleman agreement to stay true to your word to uphold ones reputation. But a coach could be gone by then or find a better player etc. Doesnt seem like kids are honoring their commitments 100%, so I would gather this may be happening with coaches as well. It sounds great in theory, but I'd be nervous until that letter came. Great for the families that can afford it either way- it'd be nice to be in those shoes, but most are not.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Book money

When players say they got a half ride to a public school like UNC, MD, or UVA do they end up paying half of the in state tuition or half of the out of state tuition (assuming they are out of state)? Also is a half ride half of tuition room and board or half of just tuition?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It will specifically be great for kids with some talent who have not physically matured in 8th grade but will probably catch up to the "man-child" post puberty superstars. The playing field will be more level by the time they reach late 10th-early 11th grade. Right now it is often about just who is biggest and most physically mature.

I sure hope this is the case. I'm not aware of any link between hitting puberty early and ultimate athletic ability.

The idea that college prospect camps would be limited to kids who haven't even played their sophomore season of lacrosse is insane. Flipping it so that the focus is on kids who have finished 10th grade (even if they track younger kids) is far superior for everyone.

I don't know how you can say a child hitting puberty early doesn't effect athletic ability. I have seen it time and time again when a player who is more mature physically is deemed the best player on a team in 5th even 6th grade because he hits puberty a bit earlier than most. He is bigger faster and a bit more skilled because of the testosterone kicking in because of puberty. Have you ever seen that long gangly kid tripping over his feet at 12 but at 14 he's more coordinated. Well it has to do with puberty and getting comfortable with your body and its overall development. Eventually the playing field evens out usually by 9th to 10th grade but it does happen. In 7th grade there was a player that was 5 inches taller than my son and you could see he was more physically developed hair on his face and legs. Well its now 10th grade and my son is a full head taller and bigger so on that 50/50 ball where that player used to win 80% of the time when they were younger now my son wins it 80%. Not saying the kids skill has diminished or my son became a superstar but as puberty kicks in a whole new physicality sets in and it does change a player overall.

Agreed. I think players get a lot more athletic when they hit puberty, quite apart from size.

If recruiting gets pushed back, then what I hope is that the very athletic, highly skilled kid who hits puberty late is no longer shut out of the ER game. A world where recruiting classes are full before the kids even play a HS game as a sophomore is crazy, as is a world where prospect days aren't even open to juniors.

and how is this good for the sport. This takes away the parity that we have seen. This new way will allow the bigger schools to bully their way to the crème de le crème. Prior a CAA or Patriot could have a run at the title because of a few over looked kids. Or, just maybe, now the better students will get the better schools (and that is the end gme)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Book money

When players say they got a half ride to a public school like UNC, MD, or UVA do they end up paying half of the in state tuition or half of the out of state tuition (assuming they are out of state)? Also is a half ride half of tuition room and board or half of just tuition?

Out of State.

NCAA Division I men's Lacrosse teams have an average roster size of 45 players but only a maximum of 12.6 scholarships to award per team. This means that the average award covers less than 30% of a typical athlete's annual college costs. Lacrosse is an equivalency sport for NCAA limits, so partial scholarships can be awarded (up to 30 per team in NCAA I) as long as the combined equivalent awards do not exceed the limit. For example, an NCAA Division I school can award 24 women lacrosse players each a 1/2 scholarship and still meet the limit of 12 per team.

There are many players who are not getting athletic money. The top players will get the lions share.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Book money

It could mean 1/2 of total cost or 1/2 of tuition. Depends on the school. It is illegal for a school to offer instate tuition to an out of state player. One coach just got fired for doing that.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Book money

Of course he did. I cant tell you how many times we have heard that one. 1/2 of what??????. Pleeeeeeeze stop.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I also hear of some of these early commits to ivies whose parents tell everyone who will listen their kids received a scholarship. Comical. They should do their homework so they don't look stupid.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Book money

It could mean 1/2 of total cost or 1/2 of tuition. Depends on the school. It is illegal for a school to offer instate tuition to an out of state player. One coach just got fired for doing that.

Out of state costs are roughly twice as much as in state. So these kids are committing at 15 years old based on a promise to give them the equivalent of in state tuition? Congrats.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Book money

Out of state costs are roughly twice as much as in state. So these kids are committing at 15 years old based on a promise to give them the equivalent of in state tuition? Congrats.

Basically, yeah. From someone who got a substantial scholarship from an out of state school. My so will be doing about 7 grand better than full price in state. Most kids would be doing better paying full tuition at an in state school than their lax scholarship. Plus it is a no joke full time job!

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Ok book money is a bit light but close. Odds of someone getting a full or even 3/4 scholarship especially from the Long Island demographic are low. I think top players in the early recruiting game get about 20%-30%. Some a bit higher but I doubt many because lacrosse is not fully funded and it has so few scholarships 12.6 to be exact for a team of 40 or more. Most players who commit early receive more than those committing later(obvious). Until a NLI is signed you are free game for every school.

In regards to the Ivy parents saying that their child received a 1/2 or full ride. You cant because Ivys don't offer scholarships. They do offer some creative financing for athletes.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One key point to remember is that a 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 athletic scholarship at most schools is guaranteed for only the first year (and I use guarantee loosely). I have heard about one top D1 coach telling an early recruit that did not develop into the player they hoped that the coach will honor the first year but it is unlikely the player will see the field and he will not have the scholarship renewed. Too many Dads bragging about scholarships for their 15 year old son...there are no guarantees in life.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One key point to remember is that a 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 athletic scholarship at most schools is guaranteed for only the first year (and I use guarantee loosely). I have heard about one top D1 coach telling an early recruit that did not develop into the player they hoped that the coach will honor the first year but it is unlikely the player will see the field and he will not have the scholarship renewed. Too many Dads bragging about scholarships for their 15 year old son...there are no guarantees in life.

That's not always true. Some nlis specify the amount is guaranteed for 4 years. Yes I have seen this in writing!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actually there are! Its called D3, yes D3. Have a friend who's son received over 65% at extremely high NESCAC. Merit and Academic money... GUARANTEED for all 4 years... In writing, from the school, not some flunkie Coach. Kid never has to step on the field. Oh, and if you knew his grades, you'd be shocked. Not even close to the average admitted non-athlete.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why no Crush in Florida next week? I would expect them to be at the tournament, but I just looked at the schedule and they are not listed

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The above post is spot on. My nephew played at one of the highest rated NESCAC schools. He had very good grades but nowhere near good enough to get in without sports. His cousin who was the Salutatorian at a HS that graduated 1500 kids didn't get in. It cost him less than his sister SUNY degree. Based on need. His parents make a combined 300k. Figure it out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Academic always more valuable that athletic....skip your club practice and go to SAT class!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's not always true. Some nlis specify the amount is guaranteed for 4 years. Yes I have seen this in writing!

That is why I noted "at most schools"

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Because it is a joke of a tournament. They had to combine 2 grades per division for the tourney and they still only have 6 teams per division. Also, over half the teams are Madlax teams. It's crap like this that gives club lacrosse a bad name.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Academic always more valuable that athletic....skip your club practice and go to SAT class!

100% Agree!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Merry Christmas everyone.

B_O_T_C Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Merry Christmas everyone.

Merry Christmas!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looks like several top 2020 teams are too scared to face Madlax 2020 at the National Club Championships.

Weather's great. We'll be dominating as expected.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
'We"?..when are you putting on the pads, dad?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looks like several top 2020 teams are too scared to face Madlax 2020 at the National Club Championships.

Are you out of your mind!! What an idiot you must be to think that ANY top 2020 team would travel to Fl. to play weak teams, led by Madlax, one of the weakest. This tournament, if you can call it that, is a total joke and even if it were free no top 2020 team would waste their time. They wouldn't even travel 5 miles to play a weak Madlax, not worth the time or effort.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wow you're an [lacrosse].

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mama's Boyz gunna spank you!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who are they ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wow you're an [lacrosse].

Really? No, not even close but if the above post is yours then look in the mirror meathead, no one cares about Madlax and the stupid post that comes from them. Go preach your crap to maybe 2025 teams, maybe your 2020 can beat them, but not even close to beating any top 2020 team in Md or NY.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeahhh, uh huh, yeahh, what up? People keepin it reeeeal up in da clip o' what?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeahhh, uh huh, yeahh, what up? People keepin it reeeeal up in da clip o' what?

Who knows what kind of person you would have to be to understand this garbage. Not even close to English, guess it is more like trash talk or baby gibberish or...someone with a fifth grade education.

Page 48 of 90 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 89 90

Link Copied to Clipboard