BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,740
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 38 of 45 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 44 45
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not trying to be snarky, but wouldn't Ty need to charge to cover some event or HS game? Otherwise no business model whatsoever. Doesn't really impact the point if he has backers or not. He'd need revenue from either advertisers, and there are none for a blog on WordPress with few exceptions. Or he'd need to say if you want me to cover your prep school game or club game, it costs this rate. $100 or $200 a pop sounds pretty low, but maybe that is what it is. Plenty of lacrosse parents would pull out a $20 bill for a hat collection to get him to show up and pump the tires for their son's school or club team. Makes sense they would.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not so sure this is snarky as it is cruel to make the assumption that he (or anybody for that matter) would collect cash to cover a high school game. Club tournament is different.... can see that he'd take money from a tourney or showcase.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just curious what people think. What is a better experience in terms of building skills, starting on varsity for four years at a good public high school or going the freshman team, JV route for two years at a Catholic school then two years varsity. Personally I can make a case for each but just wanted to hear what others thought.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Just curious what people think. What is a better experience in terms of building skills, starting on varsity for four years at a good public high school or going the freshman team, JV route for two years at a Catholic school then two years varsity. Personally I can make a case for each but just wanted to hear what others thought.

In my opinion it is beneficial for underclassman to play on Varsity IF they are good enough to start. Way to many schools move 9th and 10th graders to Varsity and they rarely if ever see the field. Practicing against the second and third varsity lines isn't as valuable in most programs as playing high school JV games and contributing to a team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

In my opinion it is beneficial for underclassman to play on Varsity IF they are good enough to start. Way to many schools move 9th and 10th graders to Varsity and they rarely if ever see the field. Practicing against the second and third varsity lines isn't as valuable in most programs as playing high school JV games and contributing to a team.

How do you handle this issue with a coach that wants your son on Varsity as a 9th grader and doesn't play him all that much? I would rather him be killing it on JV. He would most certainly be starting every game. I feel like him being on Varsity is a waste of time. However, I don't want to tick off the coach.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How do you handle this issue with a coach that wants your son on Varsity as a 9th grader and doesn't play him all that much? I would rather him be killing it on JV. He would most certainly be starting every game. I feel like him being on Varsity is a waste of time. However, I don't want to tick off the coach.

No way to handle it. If the Varsity coach wants your son on Varsity to ride the bench and get minimal reps during practice that is what your son will have to do. If a 9th grader is on Varsity than they should be STARTING otherwise they should be on JV.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I know some of the private schools in CT will have the boys practice with varsity, suit up and not play the varsity game, but then have them play the JV game. I like this approach. My sense is the benefits of starting and playing on JV are valuable. Chaminade and St. Anthony are consistently strong and have deep rosters because of this system.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if 9th grader was promised that he would be on varsity freshman year instead of catholic rival. he will probably get playing time at least at beginning. If he's not up to the skill, they can spend rest of season on JV. saw this last year when 9th grader was way over his head. played rest of season on JV. he was fine.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you mean instead of going to the catholic/private school?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I know some of the private schools in CT will have the boys practice with varsity, suit up and not play the varsity game, but then have them play the JV game. I like this approach. My sense is the benefits of starting and playing on JV are valuable. Chaminade and St. Anthony are consistently strong and have deep rosters because of this system.

Don't believe NYS Sections will let you do that. CHSAA maybe, I don't know.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PLAYING four years on varsity at a public school is more valuable than playing two years on freshman and JV teams. The key word is "playing" If your holding your stick on the sideline you're better off playing on the JV and freshman teams. Never understood calling a player up to watch the game from the sideline.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PLAYING four years on varsity at a public school is more valuable than playing two years on freshman and JV teams. The key word is "playing" If your holding your stick on the sideline you're better off playing on the JV and freshman teams. Never understood calling a player up to watch the game from the sideline.

I would agree with this. Also I would add it depends on the public school your at. If your at Garden City and actually playing it is a great thing, If your at a weaker school playing weaker teams, I think you may be better off going the Catholic route.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[/quote]
Don't believe NYS Sections will let you do that. CHSAA maybe, I don't know. [/quote]

Our town has players practice on Varsity but play the JV games. This is in Nassau. Still doesn't make sense because they get minimal reps in practice and none against the starters.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[/quote]

Our town has players practice on Varsity but play the JV games. This is in Nassau. Still doesn't make sense because they get minimal reps in practice and none against the starters. [/quote]

I agree, but as stated above, your son has to do what the coach tells him to do. I would prefer my son starts on JV as opposed to playing minimally on Varsity. "hey coach take my freshman off varsity" I don't think that would be well received.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"hey coach put my son on varsity or he's going to Chaminade"

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Our town has players practice on Varsity but play the JV games. This is in Nassau. Still doesn't make sense because they get minimal reps in practice and none against the starters. [/quote]

I agree, but as stated above, your son has to do what the coach tells him to do. I would prefer my son starts on JV as opposed to playing minimally on Varsity. "hey coach take my freshman off varsity" I don't think that would be well received. [/quote]

Been through this. My son was miserable on varsity as a 9th grader. Froze his [lacrosse] off on the sidelines watching everyone else play while his friends were all having a great time on jv. Come sophomore year he started, I think the experience was humbling and made him a better player now. He really had to work hard to earn his spot. Stick it out. Good luck to all the boys!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree, but as stated above, your son has to do what the coach tells him to do. I would prefer my son starts on JV as opposed to playing minimally on Varsity. "hey coach take my freshman off varsity" I don't think that would be well received. [/quote]

My freshman (2018) is on JV (not our choice). Mine is a very good player already verbally committed and will be at Maverick and Jake reed...yes he got athletic money and no it wasn't a full ride.

While I think he was a little upset that he didn't get the varsity nod, his position on the team is stacked with a lot really good players on a very strong team, and most of them never see the field. After three weeks of JV, I can tell you he is having a great time playing with his classmates. So while I don't get to brag about my freshman on the Varsity, I can see that him having as much fun as he is on JV, is better than riding the bench on the big boy club.

Again, not our choice, nor did we call or complain. We made the decision along time ago that we would back our kid but not call a coach every time something doesn't go my kid's way.

I tend to agree with our coaches choice (after the fact). Why shouldn't those juniors and seniors get their time to play? Mine is a really strong player, but mine is 15 and shouldn't those boys that have been fighting for that spot and paying their dues be the first pick?

For us, the coaches decision makes perfect sense...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Programs that need to pull up a 9th grader to varsity might not have the depth for a reason. What is that saying to soph jun and seniors? No point in playing up and then not getting play time. And if you do get pulled up to start is that even a good program? Between the 3 grades you can't field a team. I'm not saying in the rare exception of a outstanding player, just when schools start making a habit of bringing up.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Our town has players practice on Varsity but play the JV games. This is in Nassau. Still doesn't make sense because they get minimal reps in practice and none against the starters.

Been through this. My son was miserable on varsity as a 9th grader. Froze his [lacrosse] off on the sidelines watching everyone else play while his friends were all having a great time on jv. Come sophomore year he started, I think the experience was humbling and made him a better player now. He really had to work hard to earn his spot. Stick it out. Good luck to all the boys! [/quote]

Thanks for the advice.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Had a great time tonight at the Bronxville Garden City game there were a handful of strong 2017's that played significant minutes and key roles for both teams. I think they were able to step up in part because they had some excellent experience as freshman last year on varsity.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who won?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who won?

Bronxville 6-3, both teams looked good though. Was a playoff type game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Saint Anthony's JV 11-6 over Haverford.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Programs that need to pull up a 9th grader to varsity might not have the depth for a reason. What is that saying to soph jun and seniors? No point in playing up and then not getting play time. And if you do get pulled up to start is that even a good program? Between the 3 grades you can't field a team. I'm not saying in the rare exception of a outstanding player, just when schools start making a habit of bringing up.

regardless if the team is good or not, if you get called up and you play competitive travel you play up. If you think some of these HS scores are out of whack look at the JV scores. If you get to be productive on varsity if even against the weaker teams good on you or your son. If you get time against the best even better.

Does news day ever post the grades so you can see the grades of the points leaders. Some of those freshman varsity players last year are super sophs. So why can't this years crop do the same.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Saint Anthony's JV 11-6 over Haverford.

St Anthony's from North Carolina you mean?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
anyone care about this guys kids JV scores?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
anyone care about this guys kids JV scores?

I do.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would be frustrated if my Son was playing JV St.A or Chaminade as a 10th Grader. I see so many Sophmores having great seasons in Newsday. The landscape has changed with all these camps and prospect camps any public school kid has a great shot at College. If you attend these Schools for the education that's great, but if you think by going to the private schools for College Lacrosse , that's done. Syosset,Massapequa, Manh, GC, Ward Melville and Sachem carry just as much weight.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would be frustrated if my Son was playing JV St.A or Chaminade as a 10th Grader. I see so many Sophmores having great seasons in Newsday. The landscape has changed with all these camps and prospect camps any public school kid has a great shot at College. If you attend these Schools for the education that's great, but if you think by going to the private schools for College Lacrosse , that's done. Syosset,Massapequa, Manh, GC, Ward Melville and Sachem carry just as much weight.

That's great if you live there but there are many kids that don't and others that do live in those towns but Want the education and alumni networking after graduation. One should never base a decision on lacrosse. I don't think any of the 10th graders that are committed at Cham and St As care one bit that they play JV.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good for you. My kid is on JV and is committed and is on a team that will smoke your Varsity team. Best of all he is playing first line with his friends and understands the process of the schools you mentioned. Enjoy your landscaper and make sure he is documented. Best of luck to you...Good Day!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You might have a point if not getting called up to varsity was having a negative impact on getting recruited but it is clearly not having any adverse impact on Chaminade 10th graders getting committed to play at some great schools.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good for you. My kid is on JV and is committed and is on a team that will smoke your Varsity team. Best of all he is playing first line with his friends and understands the process of the schools you mentioned. Enjoy your landscaper and make sure he is documented. Best of luck to you...Good Day!

Keep telling yourself that, it's clear there is some jealousy when you make rediculous statements about a jv team beating varsity. Ha! Keep waiting patiently, hopefully next year your son will get a chance to play with the big boys!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
St A's and Chammy JV's would beat many (70%) of the suffolk and nassau Varsity teams. They travel to Don Bosco, Delbarton, Wilton, Darian, new Canen to name a few. Your school and soph son can continue to beat up copiage, kings park et al and tell anyone who cares that he plays varsity. As stated before the JV championship will have 20 college coaches in the stands and your game against BH/Pierson will have none.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what a tool

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
St A's and Chammy JV's would beat many (70%) of the suffolk and nassau Varsity teams. They travel to Don Bosco, Delbarton, Wilton, Darian, new Canen to name a few. Your school and soph son can continue to beat up copiage, kings park et al and tell anyone who cares that he plays varsity. As stated before the JV championship will have 20 college coaches in the stands and your game against BH/Pierson will have none.

I really think you need to re-evaluate the meds...how can you--with any semblance of truth--come on here and say the those two teams will beat 70%...have they played anyone?

I saw my son's 2018 team play St A to a 3 goal loss in a warm up scrimmage MC put together.

Have not seen chammy JV play and they may be great, but take a big step back and play someone before you shoot your mouth off...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I really think you need to re-evaluate the meds...how can you--with any semblance of truth--come on here and say the those two teams will beat 70%...have they played anyone?

I saw my son's 2018 team play St A to a 3 goal loss in a warm up scrimmage MC put together.

Have not seen chammy JV play and they may be great, but take a big step back and play someone before you shoot your mouth off...

Is that true? A rumor I heard is that MC's 2018 terp team scrimmaged St Ants 2x and JV lost both times?????

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
let him go...just so very proud and excited to have a son on the St Ants team. let the guy enjoy . the guy dressed in head to toe st ants (or Chaminade) lax jacket, sweatshirt hat etc. fun to watch.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Is that true? A rumor I heard is that MC's 2018 terp team scrimmaged St Ants 2x and JV lost both times?????
Let go of the rumors Oprah...clown said his sons 2018 team lost by three.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
let him go...just so very proud and excited to have a son on the St Ants team. let the guy enjoy . the guy dressed in head to toe st ants (or Chaminade) lax jacket, sweatshirt hat etc. fun to watch.

What school does your kid attend?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dont understand the negativity. Never see catholics being negative towards those that attend public school. If son/daughter is happy at public school....Great. If others decide they want a catholic based curriculum for their children...Great. As far as Lax....play who is on schedule and win the games that are scheduled. Dont get the whole idea about playing varsity and not being recruited as such a great thing. Rather have kid on JV and be committed. But again.....different strokes for different folks.

Page 38 of 45 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard