Gary Gait to Join Rochester for 2011 Season

The storied career of lacrosse legend Gary Gait will continue for at least one more season as the forward agreed to a one-year deal with the Rochester Knighthawks.

"I stayed in shape and continued to work out," said Gait, who will enter his 18th season in the NLL in 2011. "I want to help them transition into a really young team and, with the injury situation, I want to help them out."

During the past two seasons, Gait played for the Knighthawks and collected 69 points (38+31) in 22 games. The Victoria, BC, native ranks second in league history in goals (634), fourth in assists (526) and second in points (1,160). His re-signing strengthens the right side of the Rochester offense.

"He looks better than he did last year," said Knighthawks Owner and GM Curt Styres. "He looks smooth out on the floor."

The 43 year old has achieved unprecedented success, winning three National Lacrosse League titles (1991, 1994-95), three Major League Lacrosse titles (2001-02, 2005), three Mann Cups (1991, 1997 and 1999), the Heritage Cup (2004) and the International Lacrosse Federation (ILF) World Championship (2006). He also captured three NCAA championships with the Syracuse University Orange. He brings that winning mantra to a retooled Knighthawks team that includes 12 newcomers this season.

"We are a really young team. Providing experience to the younger guys is primarily what I will be doing to help the team," said Gait.

Gait has also won his share of individual awards, earning league MVP honors a record six times, including five in a row (1995-99) and receiving All-Pro status 15 straight seasons. In 2006, he was selected as one of five charter members of the league's Hall of Fame.

Gait returned to the game after retiring from the NLL in 2005 after playing 15 seasons in the NLL and made his second comeback in 2009 with the Knighthawks. He has had to balance his NLL schedule with his duties as the head coach for the Syracuse University women's lacrosse team. Having grown up in Western Canada, however, he has become accustomed to traveling every weekend to play lacrosse.

"I am certainly adept to it. Traveling will not adversely affect me because it is something I enjoy," said Gait, who enters his fourth season as the SU women's coach. "Staying busy is a good thing."

The Knighthawks will open the home portion of their schedule on Saturday, January 15th against the Toronto Rock at 7:35 p.m. at The Blue Cross Arena.