Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Current recruiting environment favors those programs who recruit their tails off vs the lazy ones. Sure, it's easy to follow the crowd: primarily watch NLF teams, primarily talk to NLF club directors, look at IL rankings, and call it a day. But "fools gold" is at an all time high. Many NLF players who are hyped up rarely work out (and many obviously do). At the same time, there are many great players out there at non-NLF clubs without the hype and have incredible college careers at high level college programs.

More kids are playing lacrosse at a high level than ever before - and a lot of those kids don't play for NLF clubs (and many do). But IMO, the "70% of recruits from NLF Clubs" stat (factual or not) would have me drooling more than ever if I was one of the programs who has found success in the past from taking a broader approach to recruiting.

The old needle in a haystack strategy. That is a strategy!

Funny.Had two already go through the process successfully. In our experience the recruit process was not easy even and agree important to try and stack the deck as much as you can in a process there is little control of. We played it safe and went the top NLF Island program, well known private school with awesome history which the club helped get them into, brand name coach who placed a lot of former successful college players with our NLF team. Got to be friendly over the years with his college coaches. What they shared is that it helps playing against the best and being tested under fire against the best. Uniformally coaches know that is NLF. Remember these schools also have a long lacrosse schedule so it is hard to see the kids outside of summer. Colleges dont have resources and cant come to a lot of high school games.So our theory was make it count in the summer. One of ours got seen at the first NLF one and another at the bigger late NLF summer one. Both club and high school coach got our kids seen for the summer tournaments and the coaches were at those tournaments.What I mean by seen is they would reach out before the summer and try to get interest in each kid before the summer season and try to get our kids on the rights schools lists to be seen that summer. Other tournaments they told us they attended were crabs one in baltimore, nlf img one, and a few summer showcases NLF helps with. Had friends who went the less traditional routes and they had a much harder time and ended up spending a lot more money. All the kids were good players so looking back and for youngest following the same route. The NLF club coach really helped us know who was interested in each kid and narrow it down. We did not do much prospect days with money and travel needed.One of ours was on the NLF rankiungs which really helped. He was a great athlete so that is that. But if we hadnt done NLF I wonder if there would have been such substantial interest the whole way. Thinking no as a friends kid who was athletic and big got very few looks and friends story was disappointment sadly. For the less athletic one but had great skills, his process was different. Club coach and high school coach narrowed his recommendations to programs looking for his skills. That really helped and got a lot more interest and success. He went to a solid college program that was really good academically so that really paid off. After the process was over both got named to IL which was fun but that did not help the process. Showcase thing we spent a lot of money and still not sure it paid off. My advice is go to a coach and NLF team that has put loads of kids into college. Getting $ for colleges is a whole other game and we didnt try to go down that road but will be working to 90 to pay the bills. Hope this was helpful.