I totally agree with what you are saying. This is our 2nd go around with the tourney teams. They all seem to be the same. We went with the one we are on now because our coach from last year went to a new organization and the core of our team followed. My son wanted to stay with his teammates and in addition, we were treated very well by our coach previously. My son's the goalie of the team and his coach considers him the anchor of the squad so i appreciate that alot.
for us, we will ride out this season and i will look into the non-profit organizations as well as the upper tier town travel teams next season for him. What i have seen thus far with our current situation is all flash and no substance at all. Big names thrown around with minimal return. That being said, I am not going to mortgage myself to the hilt to pay these guys when at the end of the day, they do not seem to be teaching my son anything during the practices or the games so i find myself handling it more and that totally supports your point of a coach who never played. I was an athlete but never looked at lacrosse and i have made it my business to focus on my son's position, see what he needs to work on and what drill we can do and in the end, I know I am doing whats right by him and that's all that matters.