Originally Posted by Anonymous
can some one please explain the "rules" because what seems to be a simple concept seems to be very confusing.

if a kid is in 6th grade and scheduled to graduate high school in 2018 then he would be a "legal" player on a 2018 team, correct? this child could have been born in 1999 (or 1998) but if he is in 6th grade and plays on a 2018 team he is playing in his correct grade level or are there age limits to grade levels?

If a child was born on 9/1/1999 and last year was in 6th grade and played on a 2017 team and then for whatever reason (academic, lacrosse, social) he was held back a year and is repeating 6th grade wouldn't he now be a "legal" 2018 player?

I am not questioning the reasons or merits for being held back just assuming that he was held back, why shouldn't he be allowed to play 2018? this is the group he will now be competing against for the next 6 years on the field, in the class room and in the recruiting process. lets just let it go.

I personally would not hold my kids back a year for lacrosse, it is a personal decision and I don't question people that choose to. In hindsight though I would have married a taller women with better athletic ability, and maybe a lefty to really improve my chances of having a blue chipper.

hay, that's just me.
i agree with most of this statement. But I would like to say a few things in rebuttal ,
1 If your child was left back a grade for academic reasons, the last thin he should be doing is playing travel lacrosse, Instead of spending the money on a sport, i think you should be spending the money on tutors and summer school.When the his grades come up and he can keep them there by his self, he could play lax again ,
2 If it is academic you better get to that tutor in a hurry, we're not talking about basketball, or football here , no college is going to give a scholarship to a failing student, so your just wasting your money anyway. ( and by the way don't you people care about your child s life after lax. he's going to know how to read after he is done playing)
3 If your leaving your kid back for lacrosse you are truly stupid , unless you leave him back 4 years he is still competing against the same kids for the same scholarship. and your not fooling any college, there going to know what your doing. and I can assure you, they will look at other kids first
4if you have to make your child repeat a grade to get an advantage on the lax field he's probably not that good anyway. and even though he might be a little bigger and stronger, I assure you there is a kid in that grade that is better than he is .