can some one please explain the "rules" because what seems to be a simple concept seems to be very confusing.

if a kid is in 6th grade and scheduled to graduate high school in 2018 then he would be a "legal" player on a 2018 team, correct? this child could have been born in 1999 (or 1998) but if he is in 6th grade and plays on a 2018 team he is playing in his correct grade level or are there age limits to grade levels?

If a child was born on 9/1/1999 and last year was in 6th grade and played on a 2017 team and then for whatever reason (academic, lacrosse, social) he was held back a year and is repeating 6th grade wouldn't he now be a "legal" 2018 player?

I am not questioning the reasons or merits for being held back just assuming that he was held back, why shouldn't he be allowed to play 2018? this is the group he will now be competing against for the next 6 years on the field, in the class room and in the recruiting process. lets just let it go.

I personally would not hold my kids back a year for lacrosse, it is a personal decision and I don't question people that choose to. In hindsight though I would have married a taller women with better athletic ability, and maybe a lefty to really improve my chances of having a blue chipper.

hay, that's just me.