Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
You see why clubs gravitate towards keeping the kids they know because it is really tough to make these selections. Start with the fact that you have 100 kids on very quick shifts. Sometimes play is elsewhere or you cannot get anyone to throw you a pass despite being wide open. You may also get put on a midfield line with two A team players and look like a superstar, next time up your line mates cannot move the ball and you get nothing going. Tough on all the kids who put a lot of time into getting ready and then some of it (and maybe understandably so) is just out of their hands.

With two sons in HS I've sat through more tryouts than I care to remember (or admit to having paid for). As an observer I've found there are always certain kids that catch your eye. I started telling my sons that you can't just go through tryouts hoping the coach will notice you. You have to put yourself in the best situation to be noticed by the coaches. I know it's not always possible but there are some simple things you can do to help. (these seem very obvious but more often than not I've seen the majority of players ignore them and gravitate to the middle of the pack and anonymity ).

1. Be first. When the coach calls you in, when the coach runs a drill, when you come back from a water break, be first. The coaches will never see you in the back of the pack.

2. Talk. Always be talking (loudly). Call for the ball, talk on D, etc. Never go though a drill without talking. The goalie should not be the only one the coaches hear. I can't tell you how many times I found myself watch a group other than my sons because someone caught my ear.

3. Never stand still during a drill. Always be moving, especially when you don't have the ball. Look to clear out, set picks, etc. Once you stand still the coach will stop watching you.

4. Full speed. Never go 3/4 speed through a drill. Full speed, move and protect your stick as if it were a game. A player going full speed through a drill will stand out immediately against a group going 3/4

5. Watch your match ups. If you've been running the 3-2 drill with the same two players who never seem to pass or always drop your passes, switch your group up. A simple tying of your shoelace will mix up the order of the lines in the drill and match you up with a new group. The coaches can't evaluate you if you are not touching the ball.

6. Don't hesitate. Right or wrong, always play like you know what you are doing. If you shoot, shoot like you mean it. If you look to pass, pass like you men it. If you cut, cut like you mean it. Mr. Miyagi: "...Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later...get squish just like grape." Don't hesitate

7. Walk like you own the place. Body language says a lot. When I see a player walking with his read up, walking with confidence, watching the drills closely, I immediately get a mental picture of a player who can take charge or be a leader. When I see a player walking with his head down, looking at the ground, talking to his friends, etc, I get the impression of a player who may not be sure of himself or doesn't really want to be here. These coaches don't know what type of player/person you are. Their impression of you is based on a lot more than your off stick skill.

These tips CAN help a coach notice you. What he see's when he starts looking is up to you.

Wow - what a fantastic post!! It is a gem like this that makes this site worth visiting - as opposed to all the flaming that goes on here. Thank you for your insight!