Originally Posted by Anonymous
I have talked to many college coaches in differing sports and each of them has stated they much prefer the kids that played multiple sports to the ones who played the one sport year round .Their reasons differed most saying that the upside of the multi-sport kid is higher in that when they get to college and now concentrate on the one sport they seem to improve more so than the kid who has only played that one sport.Others felt that the more athletic kids tended to play and succeed at multiple sports, lacrosse coaches I have spoken to stated specific sports they liked to see the kids paticipate in many saying wrestling was good for the conditioning and toughness of the kids.That being said the kids that play only lacrosse at an early age do seem to be ahead of the kids that do not.

The gap is bigger at a young age when Travel and Town teams practice once or twice a week. I think the skill gaps closes quickly when a team is practicing 2 hours a day, 5-6 times per week. The all year training that you did will be bridged in a short period of time.

My 7th grader still enjoys changing seasons, currently it’s all about shooting hoops, he picks up the stick some time at home but his focus in on basketball. The football went away after the last game and will come out again at the end of the summer. Hey, he still even enjoys baseball and has 1 more year of little league.

I know his skill is falling behind a few of the dedicated lax players but he chose to not play on an “orange” team this year so he could have 1 more year of the Williamsport tournament. He’s only 12 and will have time catch up, especially in the spring with 12 hours a week of practice between middle school, and town team.

I understand not everyone agrees and know folks who train lacrosse all year round. They’re very good players and wish them all the best.