I had the pleasure recently of having dinner socially with someone who recruits for D1programs. This was sincerely just a social dinner.
As with any event that puts parents together who's kids have a sport in common the conversation naturally turned to lacrosse.
This is what he told us...
Your son will be looked at INDEPENDENT of who he plays for. The coach will never ask what his travel teams season record was or what tournaments he played in. They want to know YOUR SONS SKILL LEVEL.
Additionally they want to know your sons GPA in HS and what his course load was. He also wants to know what he does off season. He did not mean off season training but what your son is involved in that he is committed to, I.e. community service.
He will also inquire about the parents and the family.
So here I s the take away... Have your son perfect his game, be a team player not striving to be a superstar at the expense of his team, have him involved in outside interests that relate to community service, he needs to be a student athlete, and you as his parents should not be a ball and chain of embarrassment around his neck.
All of that said >1% of lacrosse players will play at a D1 school. The above applies to DII schools as well.