Originally Posted by Anonymous
The vast majority of college coaches would prefer multi-sport kids and not ones that play 1 sport all year round. Go to the US Lacrosse website, there are articles on this all the time. Div I coahes say multi sport athletes develop all around abilities and athleticism. They come to college as stron athletes and grow as lacrosse players. The kids who play all year round, have peaked as lax players and generally either don't improve much, or burn out

If you play eight games of football in the fall, punish your body, and get a few concussions, come spring you will be a much improved lax player... Also, even though you couldn't do ANY of the things the Thompsons could do the year before, those eight games of football will magically allow you to then mimic exactly what they do by spring. Those injuries incurred playing football will also help you extend your playing career in college.
I say let the kid do what he wants, three sports or one sport, it doesn't matter. If the kid is happy that's what matters. I promise you if your son has the ability to play in college he will. If he is serious about playing at the next level I suggest a proven strength training program. If done right it will greatly reduce incidence of injury and will limit overuse injury by training under used muscle groups.