Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Long Shot
Illustrates the power of the YJ name. If these kids moved over to Team 91 or Beach Bums, they would be on the top team. Would rather be 5th YJ team.
As long as my daughter gets her YJ wind breaker, I don’t care what team she’s on.

Years ago that windbreaker actually meant something. Now, means nothing. Anyone can be a YJ. Just pay the fee.

Years ago that windbreaker actually meant something. Now, means nothing. Anyone can be a YJ. Just pay the fee.

When you say the jacket used to mean something, does that mean it used to mean something to you as a parent and your ego? And now they have expanded to develop more girls your ego isn't fed by your kid wearing their jacket to their town league practices so you both can feel you are better than your neighbors?

I am all for developmental youth sports, in my opinion if you raise the quality for a broader number of athletes, the entire pool gets stronger and the sport improves across the board. By having more teams your deepen the pool of talent. Sorry if takes value away from your kids "jacket".

Do not tell me you are one of those "Include everyone" people.

It used to mean something - simply means it was a special club to belong to. It was a goal one sets for themselves, works incredibly hard, and achieves the goal. It teaches hard work, discipline, and rewards are given to to those who have distinguished themselves. It was truly a special club to belong to.

Now, join up, pay a fee and you are a YJ. It is no longer special.

Going by your philosophy, then everyone should be able to join the National Honor Society; everyone should have the lead in the school play, everyone should be on Varsity. It doesnt teach real world.

The YJ was something to try and achieve, not something you simply join. Thats what PAL lacrosse is for.

Not even close... I believe that you must develop talent, and that talent (whether it be academic, athletic or even acting as you quote uses as an example) needs to be developed, and not everyone is naturally gifted. For example National Honor Society, is something that a student must work hard academically to achieve. But every student gets that opportunity to reach that, they are not told that cannot attend school in the younger grades because they aren't very smart and wont make National Honor Society, therefore we should only educate our smartest and brightest and let the rest fall to the wayside.

It takes time, hardwork, and access to quality coaching and quality competitive situations to get to the next level. Not every kid develops at the same time/pace. I don't feel every kid should be on varsity, but I think when they are young (10,11,12,13,14) they should have every opportunity to develop.

I base much of my philosophies on the book Outliers: The Story of Success It talks about how access to high level quality instruction (in this case coaching, but it can be dance instruction, computer programming instruction, etc.)relates to mastery and success. One example the book uses is a case study on elite hockey players and there are direct correlation between access,time and success.

http://www.amazon.com/Outliers-Story-Success-Malcolm-Gladwell/dp/0316017930

I wouldn't have a problem with some of the older teams having a more stringent selection process and making the teams "elite" (say from incoming Sophomores and up).

I hope that this clarifies my position.