Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by CageSage
Originally Posted by Anonymous
... The new rules have the age cut off just like soccer now, August 31st, so all the kids were just fine. Now that the rules have changed what will the new excuse be for not being as good as 91 or Express?
This topic is not one related to just Team 91 or Team Express - let's clear that up right now. BOTC has let this discussion go far enough on the Express thread and will now step into the discussion.

The real issue is those of you involved in the youth lacrosse scene do not TRUST that age groups are being properly policed. The fact that US Lacrosse has issued new guidelines tied to getting a US Lacrosse-sanctioned tournament is great, but not everything is US Lacrosse sanctioned. All of which means that the TRUST issues will remain. As long as those TRUST issues remain, BOTC's message boards will be covered with such buzz.

The issue therefore comes back to how do you restore TRUST? First, you need to decide what organization exists that you do infact TRUST? Clearly, one can enforce birth dates at the tournament level, but that still opens a tournament organizer to questions of TRUST and turning the other way when players are checked-in for an event.

The only way to clear this TRUST barrier is to have US Lacrosse centrally sanction player passes and for the referee at the field to validate the roster and player passes at game time. Some youth lacrosse purists will bristle at this idea, but what other TRUST authority can you install in this process so that you have both the check and balance (sanctioning body, and referee) in validating the ages?

They do it in football, why not lacrosse? One of my favorite pictures is my son standing mid field with his defender. My sons Helmet was below the boy's shoulders, they were 11 at the time. I asked one of the dads how old the kid was and he vehemently asserted that the boy was 11. My son heard this and came over to tell us no way dad the kid has a beard. Our kids got totally blown out, and there was a lot of monkey in the middle going on. The other coach did not inflate the score but honestly whats the point? I even tried to kid around with the other parents but they just made nasty comments and refused to acknowlege that there kids were older. They were from CT. So it's not just teams around here.

The club teams operate outside of any leagues or govering body so they are left to be on the honor system. I know my son's team doesn't bring in any ringers. Some of the teams I saw this summer however just don't seem to care. Honestly, unless the individual tournmanet directors start asking for birth certificates and verifying them, I don't see anything changing in the near future. All the talk about ID cards and certified rosters are fine but who's going to pay for this and govern it? The quick answer is no one has the resources or money to implement it.