Originally Posted by Anonymous
I would not say the story is the same with all Coaches. Since you mentioned Mr. Hartranft lets discuss what he really does.
Not only being Farmingdale Lacrosse for over 40 years but I believe he does a clinic in the summer for Farmingdale Kids.
I have known Bob since the 1970s at Farmingdale as a History teacher, long before he picked up a lacrosse stick. Truth be told, it was/is well known that Bob originally wanted to coach BASEBALL, not lacrosse.

I do not believe that he owns an elite travel program nor does he travel around town to town, state to state with his version of a lacrosse camp
Bob is part of the Farmingdale Lacrosse summer camp as a named coach for those sessions.

.... So if you are going to mention names and tell everyone who does what Maybe you should mention the Chaminade coach that owns the elite Travel club Be the Best.
Fine, you've mentioned them. Feel better now?

Like you said lots of coaches have there side business, there is nothing wrong with that, the story however is not all the same with all.
BOTC has been defending the position, not aggressively stating that there needs to be a division between school and club. Perhaps you should read the original editorial in this thread to improve your understanding of the points being discussed?

...You should get your facts straight before you mention names.
Our facts are from the inside of the game. BOTC speaks with more clubs and schools than you will experience in your child's High School career. Exactly which "fact" have we gotten wrong? Truth is that we have been through the recruitment wars and BOTC is offering first hand information for our readers. Accept it, reject it, challenge it, use it. The choice is yours.

...Lacrosse is a small knit community,
This is where you are missing it. Lacrosse is not a small knit community where everyone is looking out for everyone else. Youth Lacrosse is a business. Your ability to look out for your child during recruitment and all other phases of the game, in parallel with their academic progress, is the important message.

if your son or daughter has talent they will be found....Yes you need to put some work into it and yes the travel teams do help. However they are not the end all.
Agreed.

..I was told that if my son really wanted to go somewhere to start writing letters to coaches and sending video....Nothing wrong with being proactive and advertising yourself.
Take a look at the College Forum here on BOTC for advice on profile construction and proper letter construction to address college coaches.

Profile and Letter Construction Tips and Techniques

Lets also face it most of the parents on this board are going to be very dissapointed when little Johnny or Tina doesn't get a full ride to Duke...Put in some footwork...Don't rely on anyone...Action gets results and remember there is Division 2 and 3 for a reason...I would like my son to play and be happy where ever he lands.....
We advise everyone to read about the college scholarship numbers in parallel with all of the work being done to get ready for a collegiate sports opportunity.

NCAA Division I and Division II Scholarship Numbers