Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Travellinglaxer
This is the age (in 2024) where boys are starting to put it together. Who has the most talent (stickwork, running, size, aggression, Lax IQ, teamwork, coaching)? Toughest games?

Agree, this is the time to start seriously thinking of a path for your son. I know there are the naysayers, but ignore them. I know this is hard and especially hard if your son has been keeping up with others, but if he is on age and born after Dec , you should consider holding him back. Your chances of making an impact on any MIAA team are very low without it. If public is your goal, dont worry about it, but you will more than likely not be on a top club as time goes on.

Got to be or get on the top club now. Do whatever it takes with private lessons and extra training. Got to get on top club now!

From someone in the know

From someone in the know:
1. If you fast forwarded the current 2032 rosters to their 9th grade season, you'd see that 1/3 are still playing high level lax, 1/3 are playing mid/low level lax, and 1/3 (or even 1/2) are not even playing lacrosse anymore. Elite team rostering is NOT the trajectory you think it is. Absolutely nobody on 2032 Crabs, Madlax, or 91 will still be on those teams in 9th grade. Get comfortable with that. If that's a surprise, you got sold a bill of goods. Feel free to ask those club directors why there are multiple boarding school kids from New England, or Big Boys from Texas, on their "Maryland club" rosters in 9th grade and beyond? 5-10 kids per roster who never even attend a practice. If you believe the "we develop elite players" sales pitch, that is on you. You'll either realize it when you show up to a tournament and there's 6 giant kids there to "help us out," or when you get the "your son should be on our practice team / B team this year" email.

2. Talking about "making an impact" in the best HS league in the nation, when 0% of these players have hit puberty and 0% have worked through a serious sports injury yet, is laughable. These "4th grade elite" kids haven't faced a single adversity on their own, if only because they were born athletic and/or tall, and because most of their parents have resources. A few will squeak by on those merits, but not many.

3. Almost 75% of elementary school athletes quit ALL SPORTS by mid-9th grade (yeah, I'm sure "not my kid"). #1 reason, it's not fun anymore; #2 reason, the average 14 year old doesn't want the hard work required to continue (despite dad yapping in their ear about work ethic). In the case of Crabs, almost half of their 3rd-4th grade rosters quit lacrosse entirely before 9th grade. Look at those two reasons above, to see why. It's not a lack of talent, or a lack of Dad's money.

4. Holding your kid back is a statistical advantage. But If he can't outcompete 2032s now, he'll have to beat 2032s-2030s in 9th grade, 2032s-2031s in 10th grade, and 2032s in 11th grade. The problem isn't going away, whatever you believe the problem to be. All this for maybe a $5K - 6K partial scholarship to high school? Great job Dad.

You arent in the know at all. You answer my question, on 1 . Only top players are on Top teams, GET ON ONE NOW ! Do some fall be wayside, of course, but doesnt change the fact you need to be on TOP Club now !
2. Impact is what you need to do. That is the goal, sorry you cant see that.
3. Who cares about the 75% of kids quitting, we are talking about your son and mine who are going D1. They need tools to get there.
4. Hold back is a must, why put the other irrelevant facts in there. Hold him back if you want a chance. Period !

In the REAL Know . Dont listen to naysayers, they only want you to not work hard and possibly compete with their son.