Originally Posted by Anonymous
Let's change the topic. Now that we're moving from the pay-to-play Apex Games, PLL Jr, etc. to actual invitation-only showcases for the 2028 class, what are the true "elite" showcases that players need to aim for:

- Best in Class
- The Spotlight
- One Percent

Anything else for rising HS freshmen? Obviously, Maverik Showtime before their sophomore and junior years and Main Stage before their junior year. What others are truly invite-only? Or what others actually draw the elite talent?

Fact: The average tenure of college coaches is about 3.5 years.

Fact: The Transfer Portal exists (for now at least), and removes all kinds of recruiting urgencies from coach

Fact: College coaches are well aware that 2028 is their last opportunity to load up on big numbers of single and double holdback players.

Fact: D2 coaches cannot email these boys until Jan 1, 2026, D1 is obviously Sept 1 2026. D3, JuCo, and PG are loose.

Question: Given the above facts, what high powered recruiters will be looking at any but the national top 10-20 2028s in 2024?

Take a deep breath. Your son has played exactly 0.0 minutes of HS varsity lacrosse, and hasn't stepped foot in a HS classroom, which for many athletes at prep schools, is a "first of its kind" type of academic challenge. And 99% of 2028s will still have played 0.0 minutes of varsity ball by June 2025 (even for the 2-5 per school that make a varsity roster in 9th).

This question gave me vibes of 3rd grade FCA dads talking about how their kids were "on a path to start at varsity in 9th."

Love this and agree 100%. My son plays for a Hoco elite team and (hopefully, we'll see how admissions go...) will eventually be a starter on a big WCAC team by 10th or 11th grade.

In addition to Hoco this year, in future years he'll be in NLF tournaments, Pinnacle tournaments, Crabfeast, etc.

If he doesn't stand out there and get D1 looks from his play on a top local club team and a major WCAC team, so be it. I am not shelling out thousands of dollars for showcases, "invite only" nonsense, national teams, etc. I've already sent too much money and time on this sport, I don't need to increase it at this point. If we want/decide D3 is for him, I might consider prospect days at target schools. If he doesn't want to play lax in college, I'm cool with that, it was a fun ride and if he wants to do club in college (or pick it up after college) that's his call. He's growing up to be a man and as a parent the older he gets the less I need to be up in his business and micromanaging every aspect of his development, and if I do in fact need to be in his business it will be about academics and other matters that are way more important than lacrosse. Don't get me wrong, I want him to maximize his talent and do well but just not seeing the point of all this politics and status nonsense.
We couldn’t care less about your plans for your kid. Move on….

Oh boy we found the "Grayden's been one of the national top 10 attackmen since 3rd grade, and he's going to play for Duke!" Dad, whose kid is secretly looking for the easiest way out of lacrosse at the soonest possible moment (10th grade ACL is the coup de gras, but we can also guess "academic probation" and "Oops I didn't try hard at tryouts." Don't worry Pops, within 30 months you'll be on the BOTC HS page, moaning about how "my son's school only starts donors' kids, and now my son wants to quit!" weak sauce.