Originally Posted by Anonymous
This is hilarious........... only in lacrosse do parents think what school or how much you pay. Parents actually believe schools will take a kid who is not as good as a public school player because they pay for school. At the end of the day trust me if your son is good a coach will want him. You really can't buy a spot or manipulate the situation if player is not good. No matter how important dad think he is or amount of money he throws around. A lot of kids in lacrosse have everything (training, best equipment, right bumper sticker on car) but actual game. Yes 10 years ago the world was smaller but the days of lil johny can't hang in any other sport but lacrosse is the last hope for unathletic rich kids are slowly ending. I do detest being the barer of such bad news and reality.

Thanks Public School Dad. Who is talking about kids who can't play? Where did that scenario come from?

Yes, I think everyone with half a brain acknowledges that when a coach sees you play, if you play poorly, then that opportunity probably evaporates. Thanks for bringing that to our attention though. Nobody has ever considered that and your influence on statistics and sports science is immeasurable.

Success is 80% based on skill+work+coaching, but the last 20% depends on access to resources, and timing/luck/fit. Two ways parents pursue those are 1) private school, and 2) buying a home in the best local school district. I'm exhausted from public school dads, year after year, moping about how "my son's public is just as good as Mcdonogh," when #1, sure it is pal, and #2, I sure hope it is, since you bought a 2500sf house on a 1/4 acre lot backing up to the DC or Balt Beltway for $900K just to get out of the "no go" school district....and your wife is in charge of all the petitions and public hearings every time the district line is proposed to change to include "other" kids or "build affordable apartments" in the school district. We see you! Stop pretending you aren't also manipulating the system, in other words.

I gotta laugh at [Censored] school parents (without a $20K tuition payment each year) complaining about privilege while on vacation, or from their boats.

A ton of PS parents can afford private school, they know its what's best for their kids, but they just prefer to spend the money on themselves.

And God bless 'em. But the false equivalency in terms of education, networking and access, especially post COVID, cannot even be seriously considered. What was that I read on the news....that in the supposedly elite MoCo public schools, teachers aren't allowed to give below a 50% because it might hurt feelings and hurt the district's metrics. Yeah, fast forward 10 years from now, that will sure look genius.

By the same token, certainly not every (or even most) private schools are bastions of leadership and high academia, and lax parents (up there with water polo parents) are pretty bad for declaring their son is some kind of academic weapon because they could afford to send him to that school starting in 1st grade, when the admission rate was 70%, rather than 9th grade when it's 20%.