Originally Posted by Anonymous
Just got a notification that ML is continuing their "flex tryouts." I suspect that's code for "not enough players." Makes sense though because guest players are not allowed to play in HOCO and just about everybody will be watching for that this year given the meltdown of the Cap team last fall. I've been told the HOCO admin people have already been made aware of the potential ML player influx.

Guest players aren't allowed but can't you put anyone on the roster you like? I assume they'll roster kids from out of the area and bring them in for at least some of the games, just like True Annapolis did (with mixed results) last year.

Exactly, that model is legal as far as I know. The problem that True encountered last year is that the in-town families did not like being pushed aside each week by the fly-ins, so the team imploded. But if MadLax does not have enough local players to field a team, then that is a different story. the local players will be happy to have the reinforcements.
MadLax always has tryouts before each season (fall, spring, summer) so the fact that they are advertising tryouts now is not unusual.
Honestly I would not under-estimate MadLax. if they bring what is essentially a national all star team to HoCo, they could be in the playoff mix.

What parent thinks the money is worth it to fly into Maryland every weekend for 8-9 weeks for one game a week?