Originally Posted by Anonymous
Would love some input. I have a middle school daughter in 8th grade who loves lacrosse and at the moment would like to play in college. I know that can change. I see so many tournaments older girls in high school or entering high school are trying out for- American select, excelsior to name two. Are they worth it? What’s the advantage to doing each of them. Would I be helping my daughter by having her try out/ participate or hurting her by not?

In the scheme of things, for a LI kid, it really doesn't matter. If you live in say NC,IL or TX, then it is actually a pretty bid deal

If you are good enough to make the Long Island AS team or the Suffolk or Nassau Excelsior team, then you are clearly good enough to play college lax.

Girls generally enjoy AS, was a fun beach trip to Delaware. Probably a bit different this year only being a 1.5 day event though. Only caveat is that AS teams tend to be very YJ dominant. If you aren't a complete student or don't play for YJ, then playing time could be minimal