Originally Posted by Anonymous
We were at the same tournament with the 28 Hawks. My kid is on Prostart, for what it's worth. I am not as familiar with lax as others are. I spoke with a couple of dads on our team who said a bunch of high school coaches were watching the Hawks team. Is this really a thing that happens?

For private school more yes. There are athletic scholarships for lax. If you are interested in a school go to their events, talk to the coach.

They have athletic scholarships for LAX? "The More You Know"
Merit = secret athletic scholarships.....

Hardly a secret and as other posters said, pretty easy to defend merit aid if the kid is running a 4.9sec 40 and also holds a 3.8 from a feeder private school, and, say, also plays football. But for most student athletes this is not a real thing at least for 9th grade. Why would they fund a student who might not play varsity for 2 years?

Last poster was also correct in noting that any HS coaches out there were to watch the same 3-4 players for Hawks. Not "watch the Hawks," not "watching 8th grade players." Why is only 3-4 players? Because they already know who's available, including who has a 2.2 GPA at a Calvert County public school, and likely would struggle with academics in a McDonogh, St. Pauls, Gilman environment.

The last testing dates for the Catholic HSPT are in 4 weeks. If you're waiting for a coach from STM, Spalding, MSJ, Loyola, Curley, CHC, John Carroll to show up on your doorstep and they haven't, the countdown is on.