Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]The Hawks stomped ML

My kid was playing at the field next to that game and it was a hohum game so I watched the Hawks/ML game. It was a stomping. If I had to estimate the numbers I would say Hawks held ball for 75% of the game, outshout ML 40-8, and won 94% of FO's....The only thing that kept the score from being 20-3 was the ML goalie who played extremely well. It also appears that both teams were subbing everyone liberally up and down the bench. Saw a lot of True helmets on ML.

I disagree with most of your analysis. Time of possession was fairly even with the Hawks having an edge. Madlax might have equaled the number of shots The hawks took. the difference was the hawk’s Shots were better, and the Hawks goalie was amazing. Particularly the last goal where the Hawks goalie fended off three shots in succession - possessed the ball and then cleared it to the midline catching a middy in mid-stride creating a man up situation that Madlax was unable to defend.

Face offs for ML was a problem - with ML winning no more than two face offs. However, madlax did a good job getting the ball back. My take away:

1. the Hawks are still the best team south of the mason Dixon line
2. ML is much better than many suggest
3. The Hawks transition game will be hard to beat by any team in the area
4. ML has a key weakness at FO
5. The Hawks may have the most effective goalie in the area
6. ML’s defense and goalie is very good - it’s amazing they kept the Hawks to eight goals with way they were losing faceoffs.
7.ML has to improve the quality of its shots if it wants to be competitive. I would say at least four of MLs shots were effectively pool jerks to the Hawks goalie.
8. I think it’s gonna be a very competitive hoco season.