Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Am I not correct in thinking that the way the formula works that a close loss to a top 15 team has more value in rankings than beating a team ranked in the 200’s by 10 or more goals.

Looking at last year's rankings - a tie against the 20th ranked team would be worth about the same as beating the 190th ranked team by 10. There are definitely mid level teams that play down in competition and run up the score to end up with a questionably high ranking.

If I controlled the rankings I would lower the maximum goal differential limit to 5 or 6 to make them more accurate and reduce the reward for running up the score.

This isn't how the ranking algorithms work at all. It's the same concept as used in basketball or football. There is a math tab on the rankings which explains. If the #3 team plays the number #120 team - the rankings have a number that show how much #3 is expected to win by. IF they are supposed to win by 10, and "only" win by 8, their ranking points goes down. IF they win by 12, their points go up. The "tie against the 20th ranked team would be worth about the same as beating the 190th ranked team by 10" is not how it works. At all.

Here's the link to the explanation page: https://www.USCL.com/faq