Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I live in SC, not far from Clemson. I’m sure they give a great pitch and tour with new facilities. And the weather is fabulous! But keep in mind this is the Deep South where the state legislators have basically outlawed abortion (6 week ban), antisemitism is rampant and far right Christians rule the roost. If this is your thing, Clemson’s for you. I have no affiliation with U Md, just perusing this site and struck by the glorifying of Clemson.
I really detest to response as myself and everyone else on here dont want to discuss this on a chat room to smack talk about lacrosse but I can’t let this go.
First, I am sorry for your experience but as a Jew and a Clemson grad I have a few things to say.
1. who in the heck just peruses a Maryland girls lacrosse chat site with no ties to Maryland or lacrosse, I assume you are lying or really need to find a hobby
2. I never experienced anything like that while I was there, however the Jewish population was, and I think still is, pretty small. What i did see is just people who didn’t have much exposure to diversity and had lots of questions that led to great conversations.
3. I am pretty sure that this audience is more concerned with their daughters overall safety and the fact that the crime rate in Clemson is SIGNIFICANTLY less than PG county and college park versus their ability to get an abortion at Clemson after heartbeat as they can drive 45 minutes to North Carolina or fly home if that’s their choice
4. Your comment lumped far right christians ruling the roost as a whole is more offensive and insulting to a religion than anything I have ever heard there in my years. You want change, run for office and stay off chatroooms

Shana Tova (happy new year for the non Jews)

Your assessment of Clemson is far more accurate than the other... except that it's about an hour to the NC state line and maybe 20 or so minutes more to actual civilization.

As for the original post, it's pretty much a joke. That overstated and embellished story is one frequently heard from transplants who realize that southerners aren't impressed with how they did it "up north."