Originally Posted by Anonymous
Coaches spend their limited time focusing on where they are most likely to find kids who can play. What coaches do in recruiting is 100% based on the environment they have to compete in and everyone of them is always trying to get an edge. Their behavior just illustrates the demographics of the recruiting landscape - it doesn't create it.

The real question is, why is most of the top lacrosse talent migrating to private schools? I have a couple theories but I think the strongest is that it is a byproduct of club lacrosse consuming rec lacrosse. It keeps becoming more expensive to continue playing lacrosse so mostly wealthier families continue through middle school and they are far more likely to choose private school. Then a feedback loop starts where the public high school programs get weaker and an experienced player will seek private school just for the competition - when otherwise the family would have been content to stay public.

I think we all agree that the course of action should be to somehow strengthen rec and town programs to keep more kids playing longer regardless of how well off the family is. An elite athlete doesn't need year round lacrosse through elementary and middle school to develop into a D1 talent. They just need continuing exposure to develop a passion and core skills. Unfortunately for every attempt there is to provide affordable options there are 2 or 3 well funded efforts to expand expensive (and profitable) options (I'm talking to you True). It will not be an easy path.
How many public school kids or kids that intend to go to public high school are on teams like Hawks, FCA, Crabs, 91, Predators? Probably 5% or less. Are the public school kids major contributors or are they just filling the roster?

Love how you threw Preds in here as a high-end team chock full of private school, D1 talent.

Why wouldnt he ? Predators are headed to be a top team in area. Will be the place to go for top MIAA players. Talk of Baltimore !

Predators are a mid team full of private school, D3 talent. They're not horrible. Or good. Like FCA White or 91MD, a decent option for mid level talent attending MIAA schools.

Predators are on their way to being just like Crabs, Hawks, FCA . Probably within two years, look at rise now. Talk of Baltimore

NO they are not