Originally Posted by Anonymous
The number is clearly high than 5%. It might be closer to 20%.

Kids get plenty of exposure to college coaches with their club, as long as those teams are in the top 50. A few kids go D1 from teams like Severna Park every year.

Public school kids on HoCo elite clubs is likely 5-10%. My son is on one with 0 public school kids. Once those kids are on the older elite teams they'll get huge pressure from hs coaches and the other parents to also go private. There are some who will stay public and they'll get the same exposure at club tournaments as the other kids so they should be fine. I think they may lose some development missing the competition at Spring practices that you'd get at a high level private school. There are 5-10 public school kids a year that go D1 from the DMV so it can be done.
Severna Park and Broadneck are both D1 feeders. Not sure what the % is for public schools if you take those two out.

This is true, but let's walk this out a bit. The same is said for Robinson HS in Fairfax (5A, multiple state championships) and on average they send 1 player to D1 per year. Broadneck - I think - does a little better than that. But I compare that to even a mid-level MIAA team like Loyola, where all 5 varsity goalies had D1 offers at the end of last season.
Riverside in VA prob trumps Broadneck and Severna Park, who are “feeders” to UMBC and Christopher Newport. Based on Inside Lacrosse commits, Riverside has sent 4-6 kids eachnof the last couple years to school like Virginia, Towson, Navy, Jacksonville, Utah, etc.
While the public High Schools in VA are maybe more competitive against the privates in general, they’re still not competitive. I just happen TJ think the sheer lack of private school options in NoVa lends itself to more kids staying public, whereas in Baltimore, there are like 10-12 great private schools with big lacrosse pull. Most elite kids in MD end up private. Not all, but most. VA has more that avoid the shlep to Gonzaga, Prep, Bullis or Landon.