Originally Posted by Anonymous
I don’t know what is naive about what was said but trust that no coach wants to be that guy - and they shouldn’t have to be.

As a coach and a 2028 dad, yes we shouldn't HAVE TO but I'm really bummed out that so many coaches REFUSE TO even when parents and players are telling them in advance of the game, "We know that kid, I teach his 8th grade class, why is he here with 7th graders?"

IMHO the coaches are way to into themselves and whatever "brotherhood" they think they have, not wanting to insult other coaches. Instead we result to these platitudes like "We'll play whoever shows up!" (how dense is that, when you know the other team has broken the rules before the game even started) or "We don't play against one player, we play against a team!" Again, which sounds great except when a kid who's not on the roster, and doesn't have on a full uniform (or whose gear bag says "2027"), is throwing missiles to top right over and over.

Club lax is a business. Parents are the customers, and the boys improving and showcasing their talent is the product. If you, as a coach, just can't find it in yourself to challenge what seems to be a good hunch on a roster violation, then you're risking a reduction in the quality of your product (and customer service). Be willing to be the bad guy for once - and to other grown men, not just to 13 year olds. Leadership....it's a real thing.