My 2cents/experience re Wolfpack comment (I have older and younger children as well as a 28): If boys start young, stick together, and have a good coach they will be able to compete with anyone when they get to their upper years. ML continually falls apart (NL to a lesser degree, but they are doing the same thing as ML last couple of years) because they are always hunting for the shiny new object...and it's not one player here and there...it's several fly ins at big tournaments loyal team members look forward to and then sit on the sidelines or get limited playing time. Replacing good players who were loyal to the program with kids (typically with over zealous fly-in parents) who tend to be older and are always shopping for the next opportunity only ruins the experience and makes the team worse on and off the field. NL and ML have dropped off the scene and they were always in the mix prior to this year/last fall. I don't have a kid on either team, but know them both well as my son is friends with many of them. There are a lot of upset players and parents on those squads and I don't see them getting much better in the HS years. It is what it is.

Holdbacks + on age is not as important as continuity and good coaching.