Originally Posted by Anonymous
So does anyone have any idea why anyone has not built an Elite 2028 Northern Virginia team? Madlax is having trouble keeping a team and VLC cannot keep a team..
So does anyone have any idea why anyone has not built an Elite 2028 Northern Virginia team? Madlax is having trouble keeping a team and VLC cannot keep a team..

Answer: parents falling for sales pitches. And then burning out on the club lax product. Maybe even refocusing on the national teams.

In terms of sales pitches, until a year ago you had ML and VLC clogging the airwaves, and as recently as 2021 that Cavs team was a repeat winner at AAA.

A few parents of great players even fell for the True VA sales pitch. Took them out of the market for 2 years.

But overall too few "elite" players by middle school and parents want different things, now that they've seen what they don't want.

I'm not sure this is right. I'm not a defender of the program generally, but MadLax has been playing at an elite level with a VA-heavy roster since third or fourth grade. And if that team had a non-dad coach or even if their dad coach had toned it down then they probably could have attracted the best players from other NOVA rosters and been a force, but obviously the opposite happened.

VLC/Cavs folded all of their 2028 teams a year after folding 2027, and 2029 is struggling. Those programs combined and the result was somehow 1 + 1 = 0. If it was one team then maybe you could blame the parents, but with failing teams across multiple years it's hard not to think the organizations themselves a mess.

True seems like they're killing it in places like Boise and Duluth, but seems to struggle everywhere there are established options.

I think Top Caliber is still around?

I don't think there are a lot of VA guys playing for national teams and I don't think huge numbers have stopped playing relative to a couple years ago. I think there are a lot of them driving to MD because the clubs are much better run.

We're saying some of the same things except that your "where'd they go" answer makes more sense than mine in the youth lax world (though admittedly driving from Fairfax to Bethesda for 6pm practices makes little sense at all).