Originally Posted by Anonymous
National teams are great for players from non-hotbed areas. They get an opportunity to see how they stack up against tough teams and hopefully get some great coaching along the way. I don’t see how it makes sense for kids from areas that provide the option to play elite lacrosse locally or regionally. Interested to hear from parents on the inside. We live/play in MD and not sure if a national team is worth it. Do you play on a local Md team and a national team?

My son plays on a quality club program in Maryland as well as on a national team (not Nationals).

We do it because he gets a chance to play in a different role and to hear a coach with a different voice / philosophy. Most importantly, we do it because he has fun playing on another team.

We have no preconceived notions that playing on a national team will lead to a scholarship.

Is it expensive? Yes. Is it necessary to develop your kid if he's a good athlete? No. Can it still be fun and rewarding? Absolutely.

Thanks for the sincere reply. If my kid wanted to play on a National team I would consider it but probably drop the local team. How difficult has the travel, time, and money commitment been doing both?

Do not drop the local team. National teams do not have the same sort of practice schedule as local team. Get the reps.