Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
National teams are great for players from non-hotbed areas. They get an opportunity to see how they stack up against tough teams and hopefully get some great coaching along the way. I don’t see how it makes sense for kids from areas that provide the option to play elite lacrosse locally or regionally. Interested to hear from parents on the inside. We live/play in MD and not sure if a national team is worth it. Do you play on a local Md team and a national team?

My son plays on a quality club program in Maryland as well as on a national team (not Nationals).

We do it because he gets a chance to play in a different role and to hear a coach with a different voice / philosophy. Most importantly, we do it because he has fun playing on another team.

We have no preconceived notions that playing on a national team will lead to a scholarship.

Is it expensive? Yes. Is it necessary to develop your kid if he's a good athlete? No. Can it still be fun and rewarding? Absolutely.

Thanks for the sincere reply. If my kid wanted to play on a National team I would consider it but probably drop the local team. How difficult has the travel, time, and money commitment been doing both?