Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Hearing Crabs has had a lot of players from other teams at their practices...basically a try-out and heard team will be decided before the actual try-out. My guess is they already know who they are cutting on existing team knowing they have 2027s and out of state kids coming in. What's the best option for a fair try-out/look in Baltimore/Southern PA area.

Most teams will accommodate a guest player at practice as it's a much easier way to see where a kid would potentially fit in. That doesn't mean kids aren't getting a fair look at the official tryout. No coach would ever be unwilling to add a new face at tryout if they thought they'd upgrade their team. That is 100% a parents excuse when their kid doesn't make a team. The fact is that a lot of kids are really similar in skill and ability and you need to be a clear upgrade or have a much higher ceiling to displace a current player.

90% of this is 100% true lol.

I question the functionality of tryouts, especially with "groups of kids/coaches" moving around, and holdbacks of course, as the (actual 2028s) enter 8th grade. Boys PA tryouts and girls MD tryouts started this month, and now the average tryout date is July 15-17, which is in the middle of lax camp and family vacation season. It's bizarre, and I think it's finally highlighting the fact that tryouts are really just a high value workout OR a money maker for the clubs, whichever viewpoint you take. They certainly aren't focused on identifying skill and talent.....because so many kids don't even show up.

I'll spare you the mathematical breakdown but on a typical 2028 elite team next month (excluding 91, who will probably strongly load up on elite club 3rd line players), about 5-8 spots on the entire roster will be evaluated during the actual tryouts. Do not delude your son into thinking he's only trying out against the kids who showed up for tryouts. Whether you are talking B-level ball, AA, Elite, etc. And do not let the coaches convince you that's the case, either.