Originally Posted by Anonymous
New to this site so take it easy on me. I have a question, is it normal for the upper level teams to send players down to lower level teams in the Hoco League for playoff games? There was a tense conversation in the stands during the AA playoffs where parents recognized 3-4 players from the upper team, playing for the lower team. The parents from that team said it was normal and encouraged. But the rules seem to say it's not. What am I missing? TIA.
It is normal, encouraged by those who feel they need to do so to win, but it is 100% against the rules. The team should be disqualified if it can be proven.

This is a little more nuanced sometimes. In the past, some teams double roster players at the bottom of the A team on both the A and B team rosters. The stated theory is that it allows the player to get playing time while also getting exposure to higher level play if there is a blow out in the A game. In practice some clubs use this string players along that are on the A/B line. In HoCo itself, it is not allowed because you can only roster a kid once. But it tournaments it is often not illegal.

Happens a TON in fall and Summer tourneys. Madlax is a huge proponent of that strategy. They run their own tourneys so they also conrtrol their own rostering rules. But in the fall I have literally watched kids from Madlax Cap walk across fields and then play for Madlax DMV in the same tourney.

It's not allowed in HoCo. So many teams for the HoCo league have HUGE submitted rosters. Teams roster kids that MIGHT guest with them, even from from out of region. It's just in case they need a ringer. And that means- not attend regular practices with the teams, but play with them on Sat. True, Crabs and others do it somewhat regularly in the top division. Not illegal, because teams can run their team and roster whomever they want. But certainly lame.