Originally Posted by Anonymous
There are three club teams in Baltimore and they each operate the same. If you want to play in the MIAA and hope to have a chance to play in college you need to play for one of them. What’s happening now only gets worse. It’s all about being seen!!

This is fundamentally false, and conflates all kinds of aspirational Daddy assumptions. MIAA-A Varsity and JV hold accommodate 600+ players. Let's ignore that "playing in the MIAA" could be expanded in definition. And let's look at the "3 Baltimore Club Pipeline" filling those 600 slots.

HS age roster for those 3 club teams is 3 teams x 30 kids x 4 years = 360 players "available for MIAA" in these 3 clubs, on their "real" elite teams (aka no FCA White, Crabs Hardshells, 91 Practice Team, etc).

360 - 40 kids who can't get in academically (or Spalding / John Carroll is too far) and also are 3rd line, non-recruited players = 320 elite club kids for 600 MIAA-A roster spots

320 - 20 kids whose parents have been led to believe through elementary and middle school that their elite club play will get them a "scholarship" and have no intention of paying MIAA-A tuition = 300 elite club kids for 600 MIAA-A roster spots.

30 kids who, despite the Elite Shiny Helmet, get their lunch stolen on day 1 of MIAA tryouts by random kids from Sidewinders and Team MD = 270 elite club kids for 600 MIAA-A roster spots.

80 kids who are OOS fly-ins for the 3 elite teams with no interest in MIAA = 190 elite club players for 600 MIAA-A roster spots.

40+ MD/DC/PA players will attend a public school or non-MIAA-A private school = 150 "elite club laxers." for 600+ roster spots.

Then divide that by 4 years, and explain to me how the only way for my 2027 son to grab one of these 600+ roster spots is to be one of those 150 kids.

The math ain't mathing.

My advice to parents is, ignore this [Censored], and do what middle school kids at Gilman and Loyola do - borrow a friend's elite helmets for school tryouts. You could walk the roadsides of Towson for 20 minutes and find a Crabs, FCA, or 91 helmet around, in a dumpster or [Censored] can or at the Goodwill on Joppa Road. Because the kids have such great memories of playing for those clubs. Buff it up real shiny and then all they have to do is play better and more coachable than the supposed "elite club kids" at MIAA tryouts for 3 total days. It's a model that works. And I'm not even joking.

Look at the top teams in the MIAA and see the clubs they play for and see how long they’ve been affiliated with their clubs. Most have been there a number of years if not their entire youth career. Best advice get on one of the top three clubs ( 91,Crabs, FCA) and work your [Censored] off to stay on the team. Bench warmers in these club teams end up starters on the MIAA roster. BTW you’ll also notice no public school kids are on any of these teams by seventh or eighth grade!!

Some of this is false. One you didn’t mention hawks. Two plenty of kids move around teams. There are public school kids on those teams. The problem is parents don’t always like the coaching of playing time for their son. I would say playing time is biggest reasons parents change teams. Also just cause your son in in private school has nothing to do with lax skill. 7th grade private school lax is a complete joke and honestly hard to watch. Nothing like the elite division in hoco. The detest for 91 confuses me there are plenty of talented kids on that team that could play and probably start for other elite teams but they choose to stay there. People need to worry about your own kids and not others . No my son does not play for 91 .