Originally Posted by Anonymous
So.. can a True parent chime in? What's the vibe on that team. Is everyone cool with the kids flying in to play? How many kids have been relegated? Do they keep flying in players for the end of the season without having the success they hoped for?

True parent here. Not cool at all. I never thought I would be praying for a roster check and DQ of my own son's team, but that is honestly where I am at.

True Parent of “fly in.” This statement saddens me. To my knowledge all kids are properly rostered and are on age. Why a team May see different players is based on availability. This team is NOT all National team members stacked. Maybe half, and half of those ARE Maryland kids and on age. Personally I struggled with the idea of coming out to HoCo knowing my kid could potentially displace a local kid. Based on last years performance, True could seriously be relegated to AAA. In my opinion, guest players helped enough to get into the playoffs. They also fostered what I thought was a more competitive/constructive environment where kids had to genuinely work for their plying time, and they did! All the scoring did not come from just the “fly-ins.” And while this may not be a sustainable model, it did demonstrate what some help can do. It’s been a great experience for us and all the parents have been accommodating. Opposing parents have been cool too. No snide or under the breath comments. That’s been saved for this forum where anonymity is one’s best shield.

You are naive if you think that families on other teams and your own team are happy with groups of players flying in and rotating half of the roster on a weekly basis. Of course nobody is going to be rude to you on the sidelines. But anonymity correlates to honesty, and the fact that you struggled with it yourself shows a lot. Did it occur to you that the kids on the local team might prefer to play AAA, but practice and play games week to week with the same roster? To a seventh grader, it is not especially gratifying to stand on the sidelines and watch a bunch of fly ins squeak into the last playoff spot. I too am praying for a roster check in the playoffs.