Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by CageSage
ASK YOURSELF THIS: where does all the $$ she makes at the Long Island Elite tournament go to...ill give ya one guess. Think twice before you spend any $$ on this program because at the end of the day Liberty or TG can do just as much for your child.
Before this discussion does go too far off the rails, please note that the Long Island Elite Tournament attracted a total of 28 non-Yellow Jacket teams for 2013 according to our latest count. From that external revenue source, fields are paid, college coaches compensated, and other bills for hosting the tournament including referee fees are paid.

Following this, there are about 40 Yellow Jackets teams involved. Whether those teams are charged, charged at the same rate, or not charged is an internal club issue.

Our point here (and we might be wrong) is that the tournament is not the cash cow that you might perceive it to be.

As for the girls program that can do the most for your daughter, there are many questions to be asked and whether or not a profit is made from a showcase event is not one of the questions I would be asking to be honest.

The key question that parents and student-athletes need to ask is whether their Top Ten Academic or Athletic target schools are represented by the coaches attending these recruiting showcases. After all, if your top three target schools are the Universities of A, B, and C while you get noticed by X, Y, and Z College, have you really moved your college search forward?
I agree with Cage but far too often in travel lax the schools that show an interest jump to the top of the players wish list where the student athlete should be targeting schools not the other way around. Once the kids feel the coaches love they move that school to the top of the list. The best advise is don't settle make the school decision as if you will never play another lacrosse game again.

I couldn't disagree more. If you are playing a college sport (especially D1) you will spend just as much time doing lax related activities as you will going to class. A student only has 4 years of eligibility to play! They should try to put themselves in the best situation for academics and athletics. If they are wanted by the coach their chances of playing and enjoying their experience is greater. In addition MOST kids don't know what career path they want and use college to figure it out. There are many great academic universities that they can achieve their goals at. Why not go to one who really wants you there?

I will explain why the last poster is off the mark.
As you spend more time in the advanced lax years you will begin to hear the stories of coaches who pursue players and sign them and discover it's not a good fit for any number of reasons. These players end up miserable and often times drop out or transfer. Also, look at the coaching carousel currently in view at the women's D1 level and the amount of transfers taking place. I can not stress how important it is to choose the school FIRST. Lax is important but it must be secondary. This way if the coach leaves or they don't gel their love for the school will make their experience great.