Originally Posted by Anonymous
This is why they need to make this illegal, don’t you see that once everyone starts holding back then you lose your advantage? Then what? Holdback your kid 2 years? 3 years? My kid will gladly grab your kids job and salary for the 3 extra years it takes him to graduate. He can then come work for my son. Unless your son wants to go pro for 30k a year!

I'm 100% anti-holdback, but you are missing the reality of the holdback "ecosystem" entirely. If you go to McDonogh for 13/14 years, then ride the bench at Princeton Lacrosse for 4 years, you are not graduating and then "applying for jobs." The reality you represent is a middle class fantasy that, once again, prep school and lacrosse are meritocracies. They were not designed to be such. They are designed to create non-competitive advantage.

If you are going to work at your family's law firm, Dad & Mom don't care if you show up at age 23, 25, or 26. More likely, you are going to work wherever your Princeton friends are going to work, starting salary with no experience in the 80s-90K range, and nobody will care that you are 23 instead of 22. I went to public high school and public college and didn't become a CEO until age 45 but these kids are on a different track. They will not be "applying for jobs" @ $40K to have bosses who have degrees from Frostburg.

Is that unfair? Of course. Yet here we are.