Originally Posted by Anonymous
I have to laugh at this as I prepare my son's lacrosse highlight package. He does not have one for football but needs one for lacrosse. The sport of lacrosse is mildly full of itself. My sons love it so I keep their love going with $s. Yes, lacrosse is like fencing and crew a place where fewer kids play and parents hope for college. And a place where dollars, clubs and overpriced boarding private schools that are only really known for lacrosse and maybe hockey thrive. Hockey is another sport in this arena of fewer kids can do the sport and has a cost of entry barrier but the NHL pro leagues is legit. I mean the NHL, NBA , NFL, MLB, WNBA, MSL, all could buy the PLL for like under .01% of their revenues. It is a college entrance sport like fencing, crew, hockey. Fewer kids play these sports and they have barriers to entrance like $s or availability which yields fewer players to choose from. I want to get my son into college anyway I can and if it is via lacrosse great.

Much of what you said is true, and looking at lacrosse for any purpose other than college admission is extremely short sighted. The sad part is how many kids are sold on the D1 lax dream and end up leaving the sport in college because it is such a grind. Staying motivated to play a D1 is very difficult when there is no future in your sport. Of course, there are definitely those lax rats out there that simply thrive on being part of the sport regardless of whether they ever see meaningful playing time in college, but I suspect that those kids a few and far between. Also, for those that think that D1 or D2 is the answer from a financial perspective, what gets continually overlooked is the fact that D3 provides equal, if not better, financial support. Unfortunately, since most D3 schools recruit later in the process, the financial advantages become more apparent later in the recruiting period, and if you kid gets a D1 offer late in the recruiting period, there typically is little scholarship money left in the pool.

There is very little scholarship money in lacrosse. If parents of the 2024's thru the 2026's have not learned this yet then someone did them a disservice. Likewise, lacrosse does have a large percentage of wealthy parents. Look at all the Ivy and Patriot League kids who committed already for the 2024's. Most of those families are Doctors, Engineers, Bond Traders, Tech and private business owners and whatever else you can think of. They don't care about the $75,000.00 price tag for college and their kids are getting half off for academics anyway. Lacrosse can assist you a little bit in getting into a school you might not have if you did not play a sport.

I agree with posts above with the exception of thinking its difficult to stay motivated when there is no future in lacrosse. There is really no future for any other sport given the odds. For any other sport the chances of making it to the next level (NBA, MLB, NFL) is less than 1% chance. D1 lacrosse (even D2, D3) serves as the pinnacle and provides great opportunities once kids graduate due to networks they build and proving they have ability to balance school and sport at a competitive level. They also get to play a competitive sport traveling to different schools and environments which can add to their college experience. If they don't like it they can always stop playing.[/quote]

I would like to also add lacrosse can assist kids tremendously get into a school they might not have been able to get into (especially the Ivy's) given they are true top 100 to 125 player (not just based on these published rankings) and achieve high level grades.

Then there is the waiting game for most others and given patience and perseverance your son / daughter can still get into a very good school D1, D2, D3. Another reality is physical size definitely helps tip the scales.