Originally Posted by Anonymous
Let the kids decide and be there to support them with whatever they need. The ones that are self driven will enjoy playing on their own and the extra training. Others may need the down time. Having an older child playing in college now with multiple friends also playing in college- the extra training doesn’t guarantee you will play in college nor does taking a month off mean you won’t have the opportunity. I was amazed with my oldest seeing how some develop later and some I thought were the most amazing at younger ages fade in HS. So much can change over the next couple years with the girls socially, with injuries, mentally and physically. My best advice as a parent who’s been through it- Support your daughter and enjoy it as it goes by fast. Remember playing in college is like a full time job for the kids and not cut out for everyone.

My kid is 12-13 and I let her live a normal life.

If your kid has aspirations and goals to play at the next level, then putting in daily work is "normal life ". Read any sports illustrated article, or talk to talk to most any collegiate athlete, and you will hear the same stories about there there drive to get better. Whether it it was out shooting 200 baskets A-day for basketball, Hours of wall ball,or Pitching against against the backstop, they all had work Ethic and lots of practice in common. That doesn't mean Every kid is doing that, but You also don't need to shame shame people for working hard.

No one can say what is right for the next kid. If this is what your kid REALLY wants to be doing during their summer and it's not only what YOU want them to be doing, then more power to them. I'm not PP but I do think some of the routines above sound a little intense for many 12 years olds. Many of whom only have August off of school and other sports, and maybe want a little time to have friends, focus on other interests, and relax a bit. I'm not saying don't pick up a stick, but I also think there's benefit in letting them take a lighter approach during the off season.

August is actually the perfect time to put in some work and make some improvements to your individual game. Not being in school, kids are looking for things to do. Plenty of time to relax, have fun, and get some exercise in. There is nothing wrong with 30 minutes of work each day to keep growing your skills. I don't think the over kill comes in the off season it is when kids are practicing multiple days a week in-season and parents are still scheduling all of the extras.

Agree on this. There's nothing wrong with trying to get some work in every day, even if its only 20-30minutes. Kids can still be kids and relax, have fun with friends etc. I'd argue that if you are on a Top team and want to continue developing, you should put in some type of workout almost every day if possible.

I find these responses surprising. If I asked my kid to train ever day, year round, they’d want to quit. We take August and most of December off. Outside of practice, no more than 1 training session per week in Fall. During the season, 2 training sessions per month. Play recreation basketball in the winter for fun.