Originally Posted by Anonymous
Interested in getting my 5th grader this year into a travel program and debating about which one to put her in. I have gone through these msg boards extensively and have seen very little in on terms of productive comments about girls programs other than from Powderfinger and maybe one or two anonymous posts.

My daughter currently plays for 3V which has a good program but was hoping to get her more development at a higher level of play at this stage. It would appear that TG or YJ is the way to go but I am not totally convinced of either at this point.

Thank you.

I have many friends that have thier daughters playing for TG, YJ, and Beach Bums. All three clubs offer different things to all. Beach Bums offers the travel experience with mostly local tournaments . YJ has a place for every athlete from A to E level , if your daughter improved she will move up the ladder within the YJ organization . TG fields two teams in all age groups except one . TG is a very competetive program with a family run feel to it. I have my girls in TG and am very happy. My friends have them in YJ and BB and they are happy too. You need to pick a club that works for your family . Things to think about are travel distance for practices, distance of tournaments that they play in and $$$.
Good luck!

Now you will hear all of the bashing !!

Call it bashing if you will but what do you mean by very competitive, TG pretty much has a place for everyone also just that they do not have the sheer numbers at tryouts that YJ does therefore have less teams. If more players show up at tryouts more teams will be made guaranteed.

3v parent here. Girls from this area on both TG, YJ, Express and SC All Stars. Here is what I can tell you;

TG- family run organization, coaches are good, probably same as any other organization. Practice 1x/week in West Babylon. SS at every practice. Competitive teams, just won U15 national championships. No fall ball, but does winter leagues in Mt. Sinai. Directors believe there should be balance with girls and should be able to participate in multiple sports. This summer did 5 tournaments for younger age groups, 4 out of state

YJ- practice 2-3x/week depending on coach you get. Practices are usually at PAL complex off Nichols Rd. Also have opportunity for fall ball, just pay extra. Seems like practice much more than TG. Not sure if good or bad because of burnout effect. Down side of thing is difficult to get on top team right away unless daughter is stud. Tryouts are done as a team with little swapping of players. Other downside is play a lot of other YJ teams at tournaments because organization in involved in tournament and there are so many teams.

Express- not worth money at this time. Going through a restructuring phase right now. Tough thing about going to organization that has strong boys side is usually girls take the back seat to it.

SC All Stars- depending on age group, definitely worth the money. Their 2016 team is a great team, and 2017 is good as well. Can't speak for others.

Beach Bums- really don't know anything about them.

I would consider SC All Stars, TG and YJ. You just have to decide how big of an organization it is and do you want a personal experience or be just a number. Good luck with your decision....

At 5th grade, the coach is key. Don't put your 11 year old in front of a jerk regardless of how good the team is. You can always move to a better team, most rosters are somewhat fluid until 8th, maybe 9th grade then they seem to become more static.