Originally Posted by Anonymous
A lot of talent on Long Island? Completely agree! But I am fascinated by the whole club team thinking. It seems to me with more than one post about how good Long Island lacrosse is that teams like Comsewogue, Rocky Point, SWR, Smithtown, Three Villages, GC, etc would want to go the club route. Is the coaching so poor in these places that your kid needs to go to the club teams? In my experience it seems the club teams are more concerned about winning tournaments and having a large photo album on website then they are about coaching. If you are able to assemble really good kids, chances are you will do well. You could make the case that the coaching is better at the town team level as they do not have as much talent and the coach is able to find a way to be competitive and have fun with what he has. Anyway, this was the way back in the 70's, 80's (as I date myself) and this way did not hurt any recruitment of players. With technology today if your kid is good enough he will be found. The HS coach believe it or not is still the go to person when a school needs to know about a player

I agree with what you are saying except that there are negatives to playing for your town only, the biggest draw back is that in most cases you do not get unbiased volunteers or paid unbiased coaches, you get fathers and those fathers either have agendas or subconsciously worry about there own kid first and the rest of the kids second, travel is a lot of money but at least you get the feeling that everybody paid the same and the coaches have no agendas (hopefully) and if you are not happy you can move on to another travel team it is not so easy when the town coach/parent and your kid play the same position, ect. $1,500 for the summer seems a lot cheaper then moving.