Originally Posted by Anonymous
What's ridiculous is that holding kids back and repeating grades seems to be accepted in these self-proclaimed "hot beds". It's ridiculous that kids from other areas have to come in and play against kids a year older in some tournaments. That's the joke. The grade they're in is irrelevant- but a year's maturity at this age is huge. You all know it or you wouldn't hold you kids back. This isn't a parent who's bitter about getting blown out. My son played on the 3d team this last weekend in FL , the 3d team who recently won fl$, the WCS team that won the Crabfeast in '12 and recently won the NSCLA in PA. I'm just so sick of reading these posts where some of the parents put down and try to devalue what kids on other teams have accomplished. Most of the parents I've met from back east have been great but there is a group who puts too much stock in their kids lacrosse career. I'm not sure what values you instill in kids by having them repeat a grade so they can can have the leg up on younger opponents. The window of time that these kids have to play lacrosse is so small. Athletics is a great way to teach young people about character and discipline, how to win and lose with grace. Some of you out there need to reread your posts and ask yourself how you'd feel if you son read what you had to say...

The founder of 3d is one of the biggest proponent of holding kids back. He routinely gives recruiting seminars focusing almost completely on this topic. Furthermore his own son who is now a 2017 wasn't age eligible to play on your 3d team this year.