Originally Posted by Anonymous
Unfortunately the 2017 will be starting HS in the fall and will attend JV and varsity level games and this becomes a bit more muted for them, this needs to be a driving force on all the younger level forums. 2022 to 2018

I am curious to the fact for "anyone in the know". Did you start you child late in school (held them back) but currently say your child is "playing up" in grade, although you know the "playing up" is really where they are supposed to be playing in the first place.

This conversation happened on the sidelines of a 2019 game.

Dad x - "Did you know "little Johnny" is playing up, so you could imagine how good he is when he plays with is own grade!!!

Dad y - You do realize the boy he is playing against is my son 3 weeks younger than your son and in the right grade.

Dad x - Wow didn't know that, you should hold him back in 8th grade, he would be a stud in HS.

Agreed also by high school most of the boys are done growing. The size difference between a 12 and 13 year old will be much greater compared to a 16 to 17 year old. Having age appropriate tournaments with birth certificate proof will stop all of the nonsense with parents holding a child back or different school starts that vary from state to state. This would work as it does in many other sports I.E. hockey .

Good post! The thing is this, I can see both sides of this argument. I can speak intelligently on this because I have a son who is currently in 8th grade and playing on a 2017 "A" club team. He is a late November of 1999 kid. This past year was the toughest so far because this is the age where most kids are turning 14 and growing, puberty etc. The age disparity for him is compounded obviously as at some tournaments he can be up to 2 years younger than kids he is playing against. I sometimes think I did him a disservice by not holding him back. I wish I had a dollar for everyone that told me I should hold him back this year. At this point I feel like its too late and he is already established in school and with his friends. Although in my case I will not hold my son back, I can see how some people will.

The public schools will not allow you to hold your kid back for athletic reasons. If one was inclined to do so, how could it be done without moving the kid to a private school like maybe friends or greenvale? I'd like to know if anybody has been able to do this for other than academic reasons. Thanks.

If you're interested then I suggest to call the schools and see what they say.

Anyone holding a child back for athletic reasons is short sighted and quite frankly a bad parent. Social or academic immaturity is a valid retionale, anything else is a parent living vicariously thru their children...especially in lacrosse when a college scholarship amounts to only a few thousand dollars a year