Originally Posted by Anonymous
MY daughter is in middle school and just starting to get some interest from some of the private HS in the area.

Not from the area, are there any HS teams on the incline or decline? Any issues non Lax related that make a certain school more or less appealing?

I would assume SPSG NDP McDonough appear to always be the cream of the crop?

Do you find some schools more than other help with financials, a few are really out of our wheel house from that respect.

Is it better to be the big fish in small pond? Do you even take depth charts into account or is that silly?

If you want the odds to be more in your favor, (given that you're not from the area and haven't had 5+ years of local club "experience" and politicking) look at the rosters and speak with the coaches. It is cutthroat. My personal belief is that it really is better to be the big fish in a small pond, unless you just want to be ON a team or win a championship. Have your daughter play for a bottom half team, help them have a record year or break through, and you'll get more good film against the top teams you mentioned.

If you're a college coach, would you rather see:

A) the girl who is second sting for a VERY good team, playing against little sisters of the poor in mop-up duty?
or
B) a girl who is a starter on a good team in the best league in America, who is competing THE BEST on a regular basis?

I used to coach for a local D3 college. I can tell you directly - If I'm looking for a kid to recruit, I'm not taking my chances on a kid who is a non-starter, or who might rely on her teammates at (#1 ranked school) to have already beaten down the moral of an inferior team. I'm looking for the kid who plays significant time for a good team, but keeps chugging away and doing good things in the face of great competition.