Couple of facts for you. Most D1 college lax players flame out. If you play for the right travel team and really push hard, you can get into a D1 lax program. Let's face it, the lax parent is recruiting the school more than the school is recruiting the player in many cases. Staying and playing is a whole different ball game. There are countless stories of kids that stop playing lax when they get to college, they transfer, etc. "I don't like it here in the middle of nowhere where I have to take 2 plane trips and the coach yells at me and I'm riding the bench". Using lax to get into a school you normally couldn't get into is usually a good thing. However, there are cases where Johnny is not a bright bulb and he will just not fit in at a top academic institution. Especially if he is struggling to stay on the lax team. It is extremely difficult for a white male from LI with perfect grades to get into an Ivy. If lax can help that kid, or the kid that's in the mid to high 90's GPA, that is great.