Originally Posted by Anonymous
I think that the OP’s point was that in order to accepted into a top academic school through the conventional route, you need to have superlative academic credentials. Even then, they are all considered reaches. If you are an athletic prospect and the coach of the same school is interested in you as a player, the academic requirements required by the admissions office are considerably less stringent.

Not accurate remove the word "considerably", replace it with slightly.

Considerable is a subjective term.

We know a recruit who committed to an Ivy school 2 years ago with a 1400 SAT score when the average score for that school is over 1500. Is that considereble?

Stanford and Duke are reputed to have even more lenient academic admission standards than the Ivy’s. Maybe 1250-1300 range?

When my oldest went through the recruiting process (before the rule change) as a 9th grader Duke gave us a guideline (I know longer have it) and it outlined academic cause for concern regarding recruits, I do not remember exact GPA but I remember it stated SAT below 1200 would be cause for concern. First time out (9th or 10th grade can’t remember) scored 28 on ACT … Princeton said take it again but if that is the best we can work with it. At the Ivy’s it is definitely different for every kid and it depends on the entire recruiting class. If a schools top recruit has a 33 ACT and a 98 unweighted GPA with all Honors and AP classes then some of the other recruits can get in with lower credentials. If the top couple of recruits have low 90 GPA’s and 28-29 ACT then the other recruits will have to have much better grades and test scores.

Every single situation is different.